Are Acorns Safe???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Acorns Safe???

DefaultAre Acorns Safe???

Hi All

Belle and Zack have a new treat, Acorns. When I catch them trying to eat acorns I stop them. But Belle gets into them when I am not outside as was evident when I clean up the yard the other day. Are acorns poisonous to dogs?

Thanks
    Ginny

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Are Acorns Safe???

That is a really good question. I honestly don't know. But wouldn't be surprised if they were toxic. I bet somebody on the board have the answear.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

No. The tannic acid in acorns can be a renal toxin. THis can be a problem in cows and horses as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the answer. Now to get them to stop eating them. There are hundreds on the ground and they are the small ones that are hard to rake up. Wish me luck.
    Ginny

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Good Luck to you!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

How 'bout pinecones..? :-[
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Hahahaha! Well. Seriously now.

I have an ancient, gigantic pin oak in my back yard. She must be at least 100 years old. She produces acorns the size of enormous pecans. When she sheds them, all my dogs are in heaven. Like humans munching on chips or popcorn.

After two years of living with this miraculous snack producer (think manna from Heaven) I can report no ill effect upon any of the dogs.

Seamus and Flynn

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Here is what I found on dogs ingesting acorns -

The Oak tree is well known for its production of acorns, which often appear in the autumn months. If pets, such as dogs, happen to eat acorns in large numbers, the result can be severe diarrhoea and vomiting. These signs occur because of a substance called ‘tannic acid’ in the acorns. Similar to accidental ingestion of conkers, if eaten by dogs, there can also be a risk of gastrointestinal obstruction by the acorn nut.

Looks to me like they are not poisonous, but can cause some distress if they eat a lot.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    Here is what I found on dogs ingesting acorns -

The Oak tree is well known for its production of acorns, which often appear in the autumn months. If pets, such as dogs, happen to eat acorns in large numbers, the result can be severe diarrhoea and vomiting. These signs occur because of a substance called ‘tannic acid’ in the acorns. Similar to accidental ingestion of conkers, if eaten by dogs, there can also be a risk of gastrointestinal obstruction by the acorn nut.

Looks to me like they are not poisonous, but can cause some distress if they eat a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom
    Hahahaha! Well. Seriously now.

I have an ancient, gigantic pin oak in my back yard. She must be at least 100 years old. She produces acorns the size of enormous pecans. When she sheds them, all my dogs are in heaven. Like humans munching on chips or popcorn.

After two years of living with this miraculous snack producer (think manna from Heaven) I can report no ill effect upon any of the dogs.

Thanks for the replies!!! I appreciate the input.
    Ginny

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

I have just returned from a visit to the veterinarian's office with my sick dog. She has been "foraging" in the back yard every chance she gets for that tasty acorn and evidently has developed an infection in her intestines. The vet said they are definitely NOT GOOD for dogs and that they contain tanic acid. He also said that if enough are consumed that they could cause kidney damage. Her symptoms are diahhrea and flatuation (gas) and she is being treated with antibiotics. I just wanted to post this note to all dog owners who might have pooches who like to eat acorns.

I found the above on a doghelp website hope it helps it confirms all the previous threads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast