So how come you chose that...?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So how come you chose that...?

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultSo how come you chose that...?

Name....

I just read Kate's thread about people mispronouncing Baloo's name- Kate said Baloo as in the jungle book-

We chose our dogs names as every dog we have ever had- with the exceptance of 1 but he was really my mom's when i was little- has begun with "J", so i always read down the baby boys names beginning with J and chose one from there that suits their personality-

How did your dog come by his/her name?-

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: So how come you chose that...?

First I went through a list of "Jungle Book" character names, because his daddy was 'Baloo'. No luck there. His mom's side of the family all have very Biblical names. We had narrowed it down to a few, and when we met him he just seemed like a Jonah!

I want a 2 syllable word I could make heard in the field, Rita had never named a dog before, so I let her on my approval. After several tries he was named for Rowdy Yates in Rawhide. Yes we are old.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

I wish I could have been clever...to use a name with reference to chocolate. Like "Chip" or "Hershey"...or even "Java" because of his dark chocolate color. But DH had his heart set on, if we got a male, the name Duke. After John Wayne. Oh and yes, we're old too.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

My last black lab before Jasper was named Jake and i wanted something unusual to add for his KC reg so i got out the dictionary and flipped to the "J"'s and reading down discovered the word "Jequirity"- i had never heard it before and as luck would have it it meant- Indian Liquorice- well with liquorice being black i had to have it, and so Jequirity Jake was born!!

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Kai got his name just because I've always liked it. It's Welsh for "Keeper of the Keys" and Hawaiian for "the sea". Samm was named by the shelter that picked him up in the country, down in Kansas. After all he had already been through, I didn't have the heart to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by penzpurlz
    I wish I could have been clever...to use a name with reference to chocolate. Like "Chip" or "Hershey"...or even "Java" because of his dark chocolate color. But DH had his heart set on, if we got a male, the name Duke. After John Wayne. Oh and yes, we're old too.
    Then you know John Wayne got his name the Duke from a childhood dog?

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by delmonico
    Quote Originally Posted by penzpurlz
    Then you know John Wayne got his name the Duke from a childhood dog?
    Yup!

And John Wayne was also "a backstage Johnny" when he was young. When my mother was in a chorus line, he liked to come see the girls.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

Ellie was our first foster. She was named LJ by one of the volunteers with the rescue group for the first initials of her dogs. I thought it was a dumb name. I'm not supposed to rename my fosters so we settled on Ellie because it sounded most like the name she arrived with. This way, I did get to change her name, but it was technically not that different from the one she was already given.

We ended up keeping her and Ellie seems to fit okay.

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

The kids named Koko, not all that much cleaverness but Hubby said lets spell it like the ape who knows sign language. I find it funny that Koko responds better to my signs than to the spoken word!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast