jogging your dog.....it is safe, right?

Thread: jogging your dog.....it is safe, right?

Merlot_1 Guest

Defaultjogging your dog.....it is safe, right?

My daughter, 34, moved in with us two weeks ago. She is a cross country runner and jogs 6 miles a day. She asked if she could take one of the dogs with her, and I told her to take Merlot, the male chocolate, as he is the one with all the excess energy. She brought him back home after 10 minutes, said he wanted to stop at every tree and fire hydrate, and ruined her stride. So now she takes Zoey, the female yellow and she is no problem. The first day Zoey petered out after 4 miles and sat down. The second day she sat down after 5 miles, but now she is running the whole 6 miles and wants more. She is almost two years old, and other than drinking a ton of water when she gets home, she seems very happy and looks forward to the jogs. She starts going crazy and jumping on the door when my daughter puts her jogging shoes on. Is a six mile run safe for a two year old lab? :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: jogging your dog.....it is safe, right?

There was thread on this subject the other day-

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,57487.0.html

If you are not sure it is safe why have you already run with her the past few days?

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Merlot_1 Guest

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,57487.0.html I missed that post. It answers all my questions

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I jog with my dog and that is normal. He stops alot. It takes some training. I give Rocky some pee time during the first 5-10mins cuz we go after he's been in the crate for many hours. Others train to NOT pee during the run at all (they may warm up with a walk and let them pee then).

Also - even if the dog has alot of energy DO NOT take them for 6miles right away, it is a different kind of exercise for them. Start for a few minutes than work your way up with time.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If you have read the other thread I don't have much to add other than to reiterate what Tanya said. I would NOT start a dog doing 6 miles. That is the perfect way for a dog to pull or strain a muscle. As with any new exercise they have to be conditioned into it.