Need some advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice

DefaultNeed some advice

I bought a gentle harness, well I took Ruger for one mile walk with it. Yesterday I noticed that he had a raw spot in his armpit area, It looks really sore, I want to put something on it so it wont get infected. Im so mad, the girl at Petsmart fit it on him and said it was good, I said, "its not to tight"? she said "no", it is supposed to be tight. I took it back today and bought the gentle lead.... Anyways, any suggestions what I could put on it, that wont hurt him if he licks it... ( I really dont think he can reach under there to lick)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need some advice

Try polysporin and watch the gentle leader, I have seen some pretty drastic things happen with that thing on...wouldn't recommend it.

I wouldn't say it was fit improperly, just perhaps you over did it with a one mile walk. Kinda like new tennis shoes, you wouldn't wear them the first time on a mile long walk!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Do you mean the gentle leader harness? I've used that with my two with no issues, I agree with the tennis shoes comment.

I also have it a *little* looser than they recommend. Still works well for me.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

yep, I don't cinch them tight and snug either.. if you look at the dog from the side, it should look like a "T", each strap hanging straight.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    Try polysporin and watch the gentle leader, I have seen some pretty drastic things happen with that thing on...wouldn't recommend it.

I wouldn't say it was fit improperly, just perhaps you over did it with a one mile walk. Kinda like new tennis shoes, you wouldn't wear them the first time on a mile long walk!
    What have you seen with the gentle leader??????

Bumping to find out what problems were found with the gentle leader!!!!
    I use one with Dakota... Jackie

[quote=sidneygirl ]
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much

What have you seen with the gentle leader??????

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Used the gentle leader with my old LabX, and never had any problems. Was reccomended by my dogs kindergarten teacher. Curious what the issues are too. Neosporin would be fine to put on his sore. Hope he is feeling better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    Used the gentle leader with my old LabX, and never had any problems. Was reccomended by my dogs kindergarten teacher. Curious what the issues are too. Neosporin would be fine to put on his sore. Hope he is feeling better soon.
    Thanks, thats what Ive been putting on it, it looks a little better. I got him the gentle leader, he doesnt like it at all, I tried around the yard, he keeps trying to get it off. The harness worked good, but Im not gonna use it. I tried a chock callar yesterday and that seemed to work....

Not sure if this is what Melissa is referring to, but with Henry, whenever I put the GL head halter on him, he would shut down.

He would go from happy confident dog to distraught, very unhappy dog. His entire body language would change. He would drop his head, and his tail, and just droop. Sure, he wasn't pulling anymore, but that was because he was walking behind me, all dejected.

It just didn't work for us. :-\

I didn't like the GL either. We spent more time stopping to re-adjust it and Cooper was pawing at it most of the walk. We tried it about 7 or 8 times then gave up, it was more frustrating that him pulling with a regular collar on. We went with a prong collar and that was the answer.

I have a harness for Cooper that I use if I want to ride the bike & have him run along. It attaches to a gizmo I bought - can't think of the name of it, something Springer. It's awesome. But we only go for short spurts because he runs hard (I hardly pedal!) and I also don't want the harness to rub any spots on him. He doesn't mind wearing it.

Bev.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast