A question for deer hunters

Thread: A question for deer hunters

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultA question for deer hunters

I am not a hunter. Hershey kisses was out in the front yard with me tonight, just wandering around. All of a sudden she is frozen, pointed in a direction and non responsive to any cmmand I give her. I look to see what she is looking at, it is well past dusk. There is a deer about 30 feet in front of her. The two of them are staring at each other motionless. Thismust have lasted close to 2 minutes before the deer took off. That is when HK started barking at it, still not charging.

All of a sdden this question pops in my head. Do deer hunters, hunt with Labs, or any dog? What purpose? Do they track to find the deer? Are they pointers for deer? They can't possible be used to drag the kill out of the woods. Just a curiosity question.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A question for deer hunters

In my neck of the woods most of the hunters use dogs to hunt, they hunt in packs and flush the deer out. These dogs are not labs, they are a type of hound (deer hounds). Look like a big beagle type dog.

I don't like the practice as during deer hunting season we see many starving deer dogs along the roads. They get lost and you can't get near them as they are too skittish.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

In PA we are not allowed to hunt deer with dogs. I believe we are only allowed to use dogs for small game (rabbit, pheasant, etc.) and waterfowling. I can't really see the need for deer.

The stare down you describe is pretty typical in my experience with deer and dogs in more populated areas. They will often freeze in place to assess the situation unless they sense an immediate threat. In more rural settings, deer are more likely to run away from any out of place sound or sight. When Kody and I hike in the local state park he often ends up in a staring competition with deer along the trail. It is pretty funny to see.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Augustmom0003 Guest

Hubby is a hunter (we are in IN) and says that they would use them to track the deer after it has been wounded.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. Interesting on how the methods vary.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think Belles mom does blood tracking with one of her dogs? you might want to PM her if she doesn't see this. Blood tracking is as Augustmom0003 described -- tracking the deer after it has been wounded (shot).

That said, deer hunting with dogs is illegal in many places. I believe the practice is banned completely where I am.

Where I am hunting with them is not allowed, tracking would be ok. I have always left my Labs at home when I deer hunt and have always worked hard on the ignore deer when bird hunting.

I will say this, with the rut coming on esp, but with any deer anytime of the year, if you get in a stare down with one that close again, do not turn you back on it. In fact yell at it, cuss at it, let it know you don't want it there, you are in danger in that situation.

Got into a stare down with one a few years ago that was to the point of getting very serious, buck in rut, got to the point of banging the brush with his antlers and pawing the ground and snorting and blowing his nose at me. If all the nasty words I called it that my brother heard a 100 yards away had not worked, there was a imaginary line on the ground, crossing it would have involved him being killed because I was armed and hunting coyotes 2 weeks before deer season.

Many folks are beat up and even sometimes killed every year by deer, the "urban" deer are the most dangerous.