Suggestions on keeping them from eating dangerous stuff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on keeping them from eating dangerous stuff

FLHunter3006 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSuggestions on keeping them from eating dangerous stuff

Our 1 year old, just had to have surgery (about 3 hours ago) because she swallowed some plastics that apparently got stuck after exiting her stomach, I took her to the vet yesterday afternoon after she spent the whole day vomiting everything she ate or drank.After some x-rays done a day apart, surgery was recommended, doctor called and said everything went fine, and that he had found a metal twist wrap and some unknown hard plastic pieces. ( I will see the pieces tomorrow)....
    Anyways... my wife is saying that from now on she wants Sandy to have some sort of mouth "cage" so that she won't eat anything while we take her for walks.... I think is crazy! she could also eat something inside the house! Have any ideas you would like to share in maybe keeping this dangerous and costly (about $1,000 if no complications) problem from happening. Besides being more carefull when walking her...
    Thanks!
    ps. Be careful with your yours!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Suggestions on keeping them from eating dangerous stuff

I'm really sorry to hear your pup had to go through that. I hope she has a quick recovery.

Unfortunately I think the only thing you can really do is watch them like a hawk. I know my boy is constantly trying to pick things up on walks and once in a while gets something past me. Basically if he hesitates or stops on a walk, I am watching his mouth. If we walk after dark and he hesitates or stops I shine the flashlight in front of him to again see his mouth. If he does get something he gets a "NO! DROP! LEAVE IT!". Sometimes he won't drop it and I have to force it from his mouth before he swallows. He really isn't as bad about it as he was when he was younger though.

Hopefully others will have more ideas or techniques.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Agree with above - your best defense is to keep an eye on them and teach them the command "Leave it".

I also remember advise given to me from a trainer. She worked constantly with the command of "bring it". Anytime she saw her dog with anything in his mouth - even a toy - she would give the command "bring it". Once the dog carried it over to her, she would take the toy, reward with a treat and if allowed, give it back. Basically, it taught the dog that no matter what he found and picked up, he would bring it to her. "Look! See what I got!!!! Got a treat for me?" She went on to tell that when he accidentally grabbed a prescription bottle off her nightstand - that he (thankfully) brought it to her. You bet there were lots of rewards for that!

Tethering is a great tool to use when you want your dog with you, but when you're busy doing other things. If you can't keep an eye on the dog (showering, etc), then crating him is the best bet. Think of her like a baby - ya never know what they're going to get in to.

Good luck and I'm sorry you had to go through that -
    Brenda from Connecticut

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

We are veterans of this surgery as well. There are two things that are of vital importance: 1) Crating when you're not around to watch, and 2) Constant vigilance at all other times.

And I agree, "Leave it" is a must too.

Ours was closer to $2,000. A mistake with an "edible" (ha) nylabone.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Samson is offline Senior Member

Samson had the same surgery 9 years ago because of a pebble.

There's not much you can do except watch them and they eventually gain some common sense as they get older.

I totally disagree with the muzzle idea

okjoy is offline Member

Hi - I just keep an eye on mine, as soon as the head goes down I go and see what it is.

I've had dead rabbits, mice, birds, fox remains if they don't eat it they roll in it.

My oldest ate a fishing hook and line it had an worm and mussel on, it cost over £400 to have it removed.
    He would still eat the same again if we came across an other one,

I always comment that the council should pay him for cleaning up the streets (sooooo greedy)

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am sorry your pup had to have surgery. It is a constant worry with these labs, since they will eat anything. We just always watch them like a hawk, but they are so quick. We used a crate when we could not keep our eyes on them all the time. We taught the "leave it" command early & still have to reinforce it at times.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

"Leave it" is a must for outside, as is supervision. Inside, the house needs to be dog proofed. Basically, having a young dog is much like having a toddler; the house needs to be baby proofed as if you had a one year old human cruising around, exploring with her mouth, and she must be watched in the yard.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

FLHunter3006 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the responses and the good wishes! I went today to see her and she was doing good, what was stuck was 2 pieces of a garden hose that was hard and had sharp edges, hopefully it won't be any infection...
    A friend says he makes his dogs swallow about 1/2 cup of olive oil after he suspects they have eaten something..........

Thanks again!!!!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLHunter3006
    Thanks for the responses and the good wishes! I went today to see her and she was doing good, what was stuck was 2 pieces of a garden hose that was hard and had sharp edges, hopefully it won't be any infection...
    A friend says he makes his dogs swallow about 1/2 cup of olive oil after he suspects they have eaten something..........

Thanks again!!!!
    FWIW, we asked about oil when we were at our vet's. He said sometimes it can work, but if it doesn't and they have be opened up, it is quite messy and hard to clean up. :-\ I have heard of people doing that with success, though.

When I suspect Angus has eaten something, I give him two or three slices of bread. Hoping it will bind to the obect and give it a soft cushion to come out on.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast