A little food agression in my three dog home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little food agression in my three dog home

Merlot_1 Guest

DefaultA little food agression in my three dog home

I know, I know, if I hadn't been free feeding it never would have happened : Merlot and Zoey always share the same food dish. So with the arrival of Jack, the male white German Shepard of my daughter,(who moved in with us a couple weeks ago) joined in, it was ok. All three self regulating dogs were eating from the same dish. But after a week my daughter wanted to give Jack his own food in his OWN bowl in another room, as my lamb and rice formula was giving her dog the runs. Well yesterday, Zoey discovered Jack's half full bowl of purina in the other room and started to eat some of it. Jack saw her, growled at her and knocked her away from his dish with his shoulder. Zoey backed off and went back in another room. Now tonight, Merlot and Zoey are chowing down the food in THEIR dish, and Jack came over to have some. Zoey growled at him and showed her teeth, and Jack backed off. Merlot didn't know what this was all about, but he quit eating, looked at me and layed down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A little food agression in my three dog home

I know what I would do, and that doesn't make it right. Self regulation would be over as long as the third dog is present. Everyone gets their own bowl, and it comes up when feeding time in separate rooms is over. For what it is worth, that would be my approach. Not worth a trip to the eVet to try and let them work it ot.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Felix Guest

Give each dog his own food and drinking bowl, and start feeding with the 'Alpha dog' as first (you has to figure it out wich one it is)

So, sepperating is the key issue ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablimo is offline Senior Member

I agree, separate bowls in separate rooms -- no free feeding.

Merlot_1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lablimo
    Does seem like the only solution. olice: I will start imediately as I can't think of any other alternative

Felix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot_1
    Quote Originally Posted by lablimo
    Does seem like the only solution. olice: I will start imediately as I can't think of any other alternative
    What also a good thing to do is, take a good look at you're dog, wich dog is the leader among the dog's .. and start feeding him or her first

Alpha dog! :

Merlot_1 Guest

I really don't know which dog is the pack leader ??? They all are passive and I don't have a clue. How can one tell which is the ALPHA dog?

Felix Guest

Trust me .. Just one dog is the leader

You can see it in his or her behaviour, or in how he act to other dogs on the street, in the house etc .. Just observe you're dog, and take a look on his or her body languague, it tells you such more about you're dog(s) .. you will be amazed

Merlot_1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    Trust me .. Just one dog is the leader

You can see it in his or her behaviour, or in how he act to other dogs on the street, in the house etc .. Just observe you're dog, and take a look on his or her body languague, it tells you such more about you're dog(s) .. you will be amazed
    Felix, I still can't tell ??? They all act the same when they see another dog. They stand firm, hair on neck raised just a little, and their tail straight up in the air. I was observing them in the back yard all day. Zoey was humping Merlot, Merlot was humping Zoey, Jack was humping Zoey, and Zoey was humping Jack. Merlot nor Jack tried to hump each other, so at least I know they are not gay ;D When they were all eating together, they all noised in at the same time, didn't wait for any alpha dog to eat first, and no agression at that time...not til Jack got his own dish in a seperate room Can all THREE dogs be pack leaders? Or all three be passive with no alpha dog? I can not tell.

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

I'm alpha! I don't care which dog thinks they are the head of the pack (one bitch is pretty "dominant," but I don't encourage it, rather discipline it). I don't give in. Everyone is put on a sit or down stay (different for each dog depending on my mood). Food bowls go down. Dog 1 is released, then dog 2 half a minute later, then dog 3 half a minute later. This order is changed whenever I remember. I want my dogs all on the same level so to speak, and I switch their "routine" often (sometimes they eat outside, the kitchen, my room, crates, car, etc). The way I feed is reinforces commands, self-control, their stays, and its kinda fun to watch my lab have drool dripping to the floor :P.

If you have 2 males, the likelihood is that your girl is dominant, but that's just a thought. Feed them separately and watch them at feedings. You'll be fine, good to catch it early. I would have disciplined the growl and then taken away the food, but that would just be me if I was having a problem.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast