Question from my Mom!

Thread: Question from my Mom!

DefaultQuestion from my Mom!

My Mom wanted me to ask you all this question!

Do dogs have any recognition of time? She means that if you leave them for 10 mins or 2 hours, their greeting to you is always the same (mad excited whole body wiggles LOL) so do they realise that you have been gone for just 10 mins or a longer time?

I know that no one will no for sure obviously, but what are your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question from my Mom!

I believe they have a sense of time. The dogs I've had always knew when you got home from work, when it was time to eat, etc. For example, I get home from work around 4pm give or take 15 min., Kody is always excited and awake. If I come home early, say 3pm, he is sound asleep and then gets super excited. On days that I go somewhere after work and don't come home until late in the evening, my wife says he will sit in the front door looking for me until dinner. Then after dinner he resumes his watch for me. He definitely knows if dinner is late too and lets you know it. As far as knowing 10 min. from 2 hours, I don't know. But if it involves food, they know 10 min. from 2 hours. ;D

On a typical day, Dexter is standing at the door waiting to maul me when I get home from work. If I happen to come home early (like Jeep274's pup), he's almost always asleep and mildly confused until he is fully awake. Then he's all wiggles. I think they must have some sense of time, even if it's not in the way humans do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think some do. Ernie doesn't seem to. He hears the car and goes to the back door.

Kassa would have my slippers by my chair when I got home. If I was late she would have them at the door. Family told me she would walk arond with them ,look out the window, then put them by the door.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

They know about what time of the day it is. It's time for lunch, time for the walk, time to go to bed. However, I believe there is a big difference in how they think of past, present and future. Dogs live more in the present than humans. Maybe that's one lesson we can learn from them.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

yes Lucy is very aware of time. I think because we follow a pretty standard routine.
    she often appears anxious if the routine is broken (if we are traveling or we are home on vacation)

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella
    Kassa would have my slippers by my chair when I got home. If I was late she would have them at the door. Family told me she would walk arond with them ,look out the window, then put them by the door.

That is one of the sweetest things I've read in a while. What a special girl she must have been.

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

I think Duke is very aware of time. It's uncanny sometimes. I'd love to give some examples. But I don't have time this morning, as I have to get ready for work.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

k8show is offline Senior Member

Good topic. They can definately tell when it's time for food! But, I don't think they understand the difference between 10 min or 2 hrs like we do. I've left Boo alone a few times and run to the corner store. Gone 10 minutes, max. He acts all excited when I return, the exact same way he does if I'm gone for 4 hours.

Sometimes if Boo's antsy in the evening, we'll go for a short walk. It can be very quick, but even a block long walk can satisfy him and settle him down for the evening. I don't get the impression that his mind understands it's that short. On the other hand, his body understands it. Try to shorten up his morning walk and he'll come inside and settle for a while, but you can bet he'll be restless that afternoon.

The other things that they undersand are so funny. Like a clock, he'll tell me when it's 7am (breakfast) 5:30pm (dad's coming home) and 7pm (dinner).
    Undoubtedly different concept of time than people, but I'm sure I don't completely understand it.
    Katie and Boo

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Wesley knows time:

Noon - lunch time!
    1:00PM - lunch time!
    2:00PM - lunch time!
    3:00PM - lunch time!
    4:00PM - lunch time!