Do your dog have a favorite routine?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do your dog have a favorite routine?

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo your dog have a favorite routine?

I know these labs are smart, but does your lab have a routine you have to do every day? I have 2 Buster Cubes I fill with Cheerios every morning & the girls will play with them while I am getting ready for work. If I get up a little early I will sit at teh bar & have coffee. They will start pushing their cubes over to the cupboard where the Cheerios are. Then they sit there & look at me...like...hey mom...aren't you going to fill these things? No patience!!
    Even on the weekends, they want their cubes in the morning.

What routine does your lab love?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do your dog have a favorite routine?

Oh yes. I generally check my email in the morning before we go out to the field. My dogs know that DING DONG sound microsoft makes when you get off the internet and they go wild

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    My dogs know that DING DONG sound microsoft makes when you get off the internet and they go wild
    Too funny!!! It's amazing how they tune in to certain noises. When my husband comes home from work, he goes upstairs to get changed. Cooper sits at the bottome of the stairs....if he hears Dwayne's belt buckle jingle, he knows it means he's going for a walk and he goes BESERK!

Cooper's morning routine is going for a walk with me at 0440 hrs. When I turn on the hall light, he is parked at the stairs, waiting. Then he stretches as I walk down the stairs, followed by a big sneeze and then off we go. His morning walk with me is his favourite, I think. It's just us, no one else, no other dogs at that hour. He often nuzzles my hand as we are walking - I think it's his way of saying "thanks, Mom".

Bev.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Duke has quite a few. DH says he's too much a creature of habit. But since I just got home from work, this one stands out the most. He always grabs his favorite toy..."the bomb" as we call it. (All rubber toy that looks like a bomb with a rope out the top.) Makes sure we go to my bedroom...to wait for me to change clothes. Then we must go out back to look for lizards. Have a little bit of playtime, before I get on the computer. And if we don't do that....I hear about it.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

When Mark (DH) takes the boys out he always wears his personal radio, as soon as they see him putting the ear plugs in- even before coat/boots etc.. they start spinning in circles and rushing to the door- clever babies

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

At night when I get off the computer, I click "shut down" and it's when I push the keyboard tray back in, that they hear that and all jump up from under and around the desk..... they know it's one more time out to potty, and then beddy by time....... of course they know the jingle of collars and leashes for a walk..... and they know that in the mornings when I get my shoes out of the bench in the mud room, it's time to come into the mudroom and settle in, as that's where they stay during the day while we go to work. They are SUCH creatures of habit !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Good thread georgie! ;D

OMG, these boys are ALL about routine. We get home and they are fed. Every day Angus does the same spinning leaping dancing thing, while Simon just boing boing boings until their bowls are put down. I believe that they think they MUST do their dances for the food, or the food will not come.

Then, immediately after eating, they run to the leashes and do the leash-dance, because it's time for their walk! Angus wiggles around in circles, making it near impossible to leash him up. Simon boings some more, then runs to a corner and ducks his head when his leash goes on. Every day.

After the walk they come back in and have a few moments of celebration - "We just went for a walk!" Then we get a little free time. I am usually making dinner during this time.

After dinner, Kevin cleans up and I get on the computer (like right now). The boys settle down and wait...for a while. After a prescribed amount of time has passed, Simon will come over and knock my hand off the mouse. Or Angus will just stand beside me and wiggle until I notice him. What they are saying is, "Ahem. I believe it's time for our training. Either that, or play ball with us. Your choice."

We either train or play ball for about 15 minutes individually with each dog. There is no settling until this happens. But once it does, they will become relaxed again.

Then, at 10:00 p.m. sharp, it's time for another walk! Simon will go and lie in front of Kevin's chair. Kevin gets up and goes to the leashes, both boys trotting behind him. There is no leash-dance this time. They go out long enough to go potty, and come back in. A few moments of celebration.

Then the staring starts. Angus sits or lies at the bottom of the stairs, and stares at me. What he is saying is, "I want to go to my crate, but I can't go until you come with me and tuck me in." So I say, "Angus! You wanna go to bed?!" He darts up the stairs as fast as he can and jumps in his crate, turns around and waits for the bedtime treat. Simon, in the meantime, has staked out a bed in the living room. I go over and hug him and love him up before we go to bed.

Every night, same thing! ;D

ETA: I finished this just in time. Simon's head is on my hand. He will knock it away next.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Tal knows that when I give him a frozen kong I am about to leave for a long time. Undeterred, though, he is more excited about the kong.

When i am getting ready in the morning, he knows I am going to leave and he lays on the bathroom floor.

When I get home, even before he goes potty, he just licks my face. And he knows when it is about 5 am because that is when I put Midnight's food out, put fresh water out and he and O go outside and play fetch for half an hour. And when I push the keyboard in he comes running because he knows he gets a good butt scratch. Such creatures of habit are they!

And when I turn lights off, Tal follows me and once I sit on the bed to remove my shoes, then he leaps in the bed and I have to move him aside so I can get under the covers. Then he gives me a wet sloppy kiss on the face and its off to sleep. Goobers.

georgie is offline Senior Member

These labs are so wonderful. I think I enjoy their routines as much as they do. It's kind of comforting...like "All is right in the world."

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    These labs are so wonderful. I think I enjoy their routines as much as they do. It's kind of comforting...like "All is right in the world."
    I feel that way too! ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast