Anyone ever had a beagle?

Thread: Anyone ever had a beagle?

DefaultAnyone ever had a beagle?

I have a lab (of course) who is the smartest lab in the world. No, really. For instance, housetraining him was a walk in the park when he was 7-8wks old.

We're looking at adopting a beagle, a very young one, meaning it will need training, etc., etc.

Anyone here have advice? I've heard they are not so easy to train....... thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anyone ever had a beagle?

Nance has 2 and Paula has 1. Hope they see this.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

We had a beagle before we had Copper. Smart as a whip. In fact so smart that she was a problem as she outsmarted us many many times.
    Their nose is the greatest problem. They can be concentrating big time on something and then get a wiff of a good smell and bye bye..... It was 2 years before we could actually open the door and not worry she would dash out. Our neigbourhood had hot dogs ready for her great escapes. Everyone knew her and where she belonged. She never was trustworthy off a leash.. She found her way into garbage cans that I could not get into and yes we used a crate with her right up until the sad day we lost her to thyroid cancer.

With all this, yes I miss her terribly and I think about getting another one right up until my neighbour lets her beagle off leash at the park where he plays with my puppers and then all of a sudden.... he is gone like a flash. My dogs go with him until I use a recall. They come back and he keeps going and going and going...
    Then I remeber why I do not want another beagle. I just don't have the energy to play chase the dog through the neigbourhood any more

Now on the other side, I have seen beagles at the dog park that stay with their owners and am amazed along with a lot of people.They are loveable and cuddly and like a lab will do anything for food, but oh that sense of smell.......

That's my 2 cents worth.
    Pat

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

There was a thread earlier this week about owning Labs and Beagles-

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,57304.0.html

it's probably worth a read

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Haha! Thanks, Kate2Jays. That will save a whole lot of repeat posting.

I will just say this: I LOVE BEAGLES! I love beagles, I love beagles. Such wonderful family dogs, such merry little sprites, SO smart, SO entertaining, SO beautiful, SO stubborn, SO loving, SO smart, SO SO SO!

Do not EVER let them off lead unless they are in field trials or agility (they excel at agility, by the way. Not like B/Cs but boy do they love it!)

Oh... I wasn't going to post a whole lot since the previous thread link is here, but when you get me going on beagles it's hard for me to stop.

eta: I have 2 beagles, 3 labs, 1 border collie, 1 Lhasa. Marvelous family!

Seamus and Flynn

Thank you everyone! You have been very, very helpful! And you gave me things to consider, certainly.

Well, I missed out on the other post, so here are my thoughts...I have had beagles all my life( we got the first one when I was 4). I have two beagles now, Teddy, a 4-5 year old rescue and Phoebe an almost 1 yr old. I think Paula said it best, that labs and beagles compliment each other. They are both such loving and funny breeds...put them together and you will never be bored! I also echo what others have said though, don't let them off lead, their noses will betray them evry time!

Felix Guest

You can perfectly train Beagles

It is just in the owners head of all those stuff you hear about those type of dog's ;D

And yes .. Maybe they are a bit hard headed .. but hey! .. Labradors also can have a hard head! :-X

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

It's funny, so many have labs and beagles on here, and they are a combo I never would have thought of...? So different!!

I'm not crazy about the wandering of the hound-types. Theres a guy who comes to the dog park with his two (the park is all fenced and forested) and these dogs disappear for the entire time he's there. You see them when they first come in, and then when he goes and gets them and leaves. Occasionally you hear them, though.

That, and I have never seen a beagle that was not overweight outside of the shelter. (Please don't take offense, I'm sure there are lots out there, I just haven't seen 'em.)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!