Can your dog count? I think Lucy can
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can your dog count? I think Lucy can

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan your dog count? I think Lucy can

Okay..I don't know if is believed that dogs can count...but I think Lucy can.

Every morning when Jim is drinking his coffee and looking at his computer, Jim gets 3 biscuits from the cookie jar and places them on top of the keyboard. He tells Lucy to go get 2 kongs... "Lucy get your kong" and then "Lucy get Cricket's kong"
    He splits a cookie in half, fills the kongs and the girls run off to get the cookie free from the kong.
    He repeats this 3 times every morning.
    Lucy used to try for a 4th cookie but Jim would say "no more" and ignore her.
    So now right after the third kong she drops it and immediately runs upstairs and goes back to bed.

Do your labs do something that could be considered counting?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can your dog count? I think Lucy can

I was positive Mick could count. "Way back when", I used give him8 brewers yeast tablets in the morning. A few times, for the heck of it, I only put 5 or 6 in my hand. After he gobbled them up, he nosed my hand looking for the rest. He only did that if all 8 weren't there.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Bwa ha ha...I've pulled the fake 'My dog can do math' trick on relatives a few times. I can get Rocky to bark by just subtle move of my head or move of my mouth a certain way. Thus I'll tell visiting relatives that Rocky can do math. I'll ask him what 5 minus 2 is and I can get him to bark 3 times. Of course the people are usually focusing on the dawg and end up being amazed after we do a few more mathematical equations. ;D

As for the more serious question I bet a dogs nose helps him count. I think they are smart enough to distinguish 1 treat being taken out and several and the sensitiv enose might just help them to know that there are more treats nearby.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When I am on the computer, Casey knows I am done before I make a move to get up. I think she knows it takes 3 clicks of the mouse to shut down my computer.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

okay..but SU put out 4 cookies this morning but only gave 3. She can see and smell the cookies. In fact it is still sitting on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by samrandy
    When I am on the computer, Casey knows I am done before I make a move to get up. I think she knows it takes 3 clicks of the mouse to shut down my computer.
    It's that cool they are really so Smart! Mocha is like that she is very routine oriented too if I do things out of order she gives me the weirdest looks.

YES!
    Rocket can.

I've gotten to where I'll tell him how many more times I'll throw the ball, like "three more times". He knows when we're done he runs the ball into the garage and stands by the door (because there is always a treat waiting for him just inside)

He gets it right for all of numbers 1 thru 5. He kills me.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I can throw 4 marks from remote wingers for mine, have her pick up three of them in sequence, and she will sit "cocked and loaded" staring at the area of fall for number 4 until I send her. I have no doubt she can "count" at least to that extent.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

That is a cute story Molly

georgie is offline Senior Member

Aw...Molly is so smart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast