Confusion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confusion

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultConfusion

Do your dogs ever get confused, or act as though they never heard a well used command in their life?

Strange thing happened last evening. I was giving Zoe some treats and asked her to come. She got up, looked at me, and started looking around the family room as though she was looking for something. SHe didn't come, and she ALWAYS comes when I have a treat. I had to repeat the come command. ???

Then this a.m., like every a.m. for 4 years, she lays down near my side while I put my makeup on in the bathroom. She stays there until I am done. She is not allowed to get up and go anywhere. When I'm done, she gets 3 little kibbles (oh joy! LOL) and I release her by saying "free dog; bed rest" upon which she gets up and goes to rest on her bed in the family room and waits there till I get my work clothes ready.

This a.m., I gave her the release command and she looked at me like ??? ??? and just stood there. I gave her butt a little push and told her "bed rest" then she went.

Is she getting senile at 4-1/2?
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Confusion

It could be her hearing. When was the last time you cleaned ears or she was checked/ear scoped by the vet?

She is young for this but I would check it out. She could have ear plugs(wax build up) causing some hearing loss. I don't think scoping alone can detect a plug as they are deep down.

Does she respond at other times? When you clap your hands, etc.

imported_Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

May just be case of pure stubborn selective hearing. Duke will pull that on me sometimes when he carries his Nylabone out back and drops it. When its time to go back in I tell him to get his toy and he runs over and grabs the chew to carry it back inside. Every now and them he gives me this blank stare like he has no idea what I am talking about. It drives me nuts.
    <br />Duke and Freckles

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    It could be her hearing. When was the last time you cleaned ears or she was checked/ear scoped by the vet?

She is young for this but I would check it out. She could have ear plugs(wax build up) causing some hearing loss. I don't think scoping alone can detect a plug as they are deep down.

Does she respond at other times? When you clap your hands, etc.
    this am she could hear a kibble fall on the floor and she was in the other room. She came a-running! :

LOL at Duke.

I'll monitor her for the next several days. These 2 events made me think of her teenage months.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Mocha does that sometimes too especially if it's something out of order. She's on a schedule and if I do things out of order I get those looks. Sometimes it's at random other times too though.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

imported_bearsdad is offline Senior Member

No.. but I confuse easily LOL
    <br /><br />&quot;in moments of joy, all of us wish we possessed a tail we could wag.&quot;<br />w.h. auden<br /><br />&quot;This is worse than a divorce... I&#39;ve lost half of my net worth and I still have my wife&quot;

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I swear sometimes they are just goofin' you. I wouldn't worry about it. I get the head tilted look like I spoke to them in tongues or something. It passes.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    Do your dogs ever get confused, or act as though they never heard a well used command in their life?
    When I read this, I thought to myself "yes, just last night with the "come" command, and then I read on to find out you had the same problem!
    Last night we were in the back and I had Brigetta in a sit/stay. I moved away from her and when I said come, she looked at me, got up, then ran up to the deck. I don't know is something spooked her or what. Then this morning, she was on my bed and when I was getting ready to leave. I always say "get in your house", she runs into her crate, turns around and waits for her treat (which she doesn't eat, but always wants :). Well today, she just looked at me, tilted her head, and never got up. I had to use a firmer voice, then she got up :-\

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

yes, Lucy often appears confused or just has a downright blank stare on her face with commands she knows.
    That's my hard-headed girl.

now if there is a cookie involved, all confusion melts away.

SandyandAbbey is offline Senior Member

My mad yellow girl loves to look at me blankly when I give her a command. Found out very early that the funny little thing expected me to say her name first (eg - Abbey Sit, Abbey Come etc). Of course silly me. : If I forget to attach her name to the command she looks around like you might possibly be talking to someone else. ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast