Overweight Lab

Thread: Overweight Lab

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultOverweight Lab

My neighbors Lab is 6 years old and it turns out I saw her for the first time on about 3 years last night. They brought her over to meet Hershey Kisses. The two have been in the habit of conversing across the stream and woods between the houses, but never saw each other. Bock on topic. When I saw her, the neighbor's Lab, i didn't believe how overweight she is. The dog is a really plump sausage. At 6 she is a slow walker, and with HK running around her, sniffing, darting, it seemed she had all she could do just to keep her eyes on HK. The dog is kept outside 24/7/365. I don't agree with it and can't discuss it. I thought he used her for a hunting dog, but there is no way based on what i saw.

The reason for this history. I take Hershey Kisses to a dog park every week to run, swim, and play. It would be absolutely no issue to me, to stop at their house and take their dog with me. Would I be putting this dog at risk by giving her the opportunity to run once a week and maybe shed some of her weight? I thought I would ask here before proposing it to my neighbor. I have no idea if the dog would respond tome off leach, I can check that out if I don't get negative reaction to trying to exercise a severely overweight 6 year old Lab.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Overweight Lab

In my opinion, I think the dog park is a great idea. You are letting the dog exercise at THEIR leisure. I think forcing the dog to exercise might be a bad idea. Maybe the neighbors should not be feeding this dog so much, food or treats. You could possibly be nice and make a comment about her weight and how it might affect her joints. These are DIRECTLY related to each other. Also, the dog park associates them with other 4 legged friends. You could try it out. GOOD LUCK!

It depends on the neighbors and how the dog is around other dogs. Maybe try to get to know them a little more, and maybe mention that you take HK to the park and it would be great to take them both sometime. What what their reaction is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

k8show is offline Senior Member

That's a very sweet idea! I hope your neighbor accepts your offer.
    Katie and Boo

Hunter is offline Senior Member

With the way our dog park is it should not be a problem. I take my neighbors dogs all the time, although she is a little skittish she has a great time.

As long as the neighbors are ok with it, bring her along. It would be great to shed a few pounds and for socialization.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

It is a nice idea but I think I would want to know the last time the dog was checked by a vet. If it is outside 24/7/365 they may never go to the vet for yearly check ups.

God forbid something happens while at the park (due to medical issues) you wouldn't want to be responsible.

The weight issue could be lack of exercise but it can sometimes be a health issue (such as thyroid).

I truly think your gesture is a wonderful one and if the owner agrees I would ask about last vet visit and the dogs overall health before taking her to the park. JMO

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hunter,

If they agree to it as a good idea, you will see her. She is not like any of the dogs I ahve seen up there with you. She is over weight and really slow. I thought she might be a near end of life senior, but the Mom said she was 6. That isn't that old for a lab.

Snowco Labradors,

You bring up a great point about the last vet visit. I did ask if they ever took her to a dog park. she didn't know there were any around. Then made a comment that they would probably have to get her shots and tags before they could take her.

I fell sorry for the dog and it would not be a big deal for me. I think I will find a way to pursue it.

Regarding the weight, I really believe it is lack of activity and over feeding. We had a conversation about the dog starting to paw all the food out of her dish this summer and then eating it off the ground. At that point, the daughter (college student home until school starts again) says, 'Of course she does! She is looking for the treats I put at the bottom of her bowl!'
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

The vet visit would be a must for tags and shots before taking her for sure. Hopefully they will learn something from you and get her checked out and get her some exercise.