They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks...

Thread: They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks...

PalmettoLabbie is offline Junior Member

DefaultThey say you can't teach an old dog new tricks...

My two pups aren't "old" but is 3 too old to teach them a trick or two? And how should I go about doing it if I can? Legend will let you pick up his feet but when you start to "shake" he pulls it away. Nothing aggresive; he is just a 'touch me not' when it comes to his toesies. Lily is the same way. Any advice?
    <br />&quot;I&#39;m a tired princess.&quot;<br /><br /><br />&quot;I know what you&#39;re thinking, but don&#39;t let looks deceive you. Watch out for your couch pillows. &quot;

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kpowell is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks...

You CAN teach an old dog new treats!!! Don't let anyone tell you to the contrary!
    Jack&#039;s Mom

Felix Guest

You can perfectly train you're "old" dog new tricks, you even can start obedience class with him/her, that should be not any problem at all

And who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks, is just plane stupid! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well Legend just earned his "Good Citizen" certificate. They both are pretty well behaved. How do I go about getting them both to understand "shake" means pick up your paw and put it in my hand? or roll over? or any trick for that matter?
    <br />&quot;I&#39;m a tired princess.&quot;<br /><br /><br />&quot;I know what you&#39;re thinking, but don&#39;t let looks deceive you. Watch out for your couch pillows. &quot;

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

my luke is over 6 years old. he learns new things all the time. he may not be as fast at learning new things as his little sister, but he is still a very good student.

you should start a new thread for each of the things you are trying to teach in the Training section. also try to teach 1 new thing at a time and practise already learned skills for variety.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Regarding the shake, i would just start touching their paws and when they don't pull away, treat or praise them. take your time and gradually, days or weeks, move towards holding and lifting. Eventually asking them to lift their paw and extend it to you.

No help on rolling over. HK rolls over when she wants a belly rub. Any attempt for me to roll her over ends up in a wrestling match. Until I changed her food, I was applying Animax on her belly for a rash. I always ended up having to over power her to gain access and enough time to apply the Animax. At class last Tuesday, the trainer wanted us to put the dogs in a 'settle' postion. Settle meant laying on their side, head on floor, legs straight out. I protested saying that is was going to be impossible. I was told I was a woof, the response I expected and wanted. And she asked if she could show me how. I agreed of course and the whole class had a ball watching the next 5 minutes circus that was performed by Hershey Kisses and the trainer. She does down great, and will stay down. But NO ONE makes her get on her side flat or on her back when she doesn't want to.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I can't even begin to tell you how hard I laughed. Lily and Legend were the SAME WAY! We ended up laying on top of them until they quit squirming. Legend is a hoss and has lots of strength. Oh the memories of obedience class and "settle." hahaha! ;D