Yearly check up- shots question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yearly check up- shots question

DefaultYearly check up- shots question

What vaccinations do you get for your lab? I called my vet and the list is long, but I know some are controversial- like the lime disease shot.

They even mentioned a peridontal shot.

TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kym

DefaultRe: Yearly check up- shots question

well, i used to get everything, even got a round of the lyme shot. now, nothing , the rabies shot is required by law, if it wasn't, i wouldn't get that either

Your dog is gorgeous!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kym

thanks!! your's ain't halfbad either ;D

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

All these dogs are beautiful, But Tia! Your looks just like Hershey a couple months back.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

This is actually a subject very near and dear to my heart at the moment. :P

How old is your dog?

My current thinking is, in a perfect world, they should get the puppy shots + rabies at four or six months, then a year later have another round of the same. After that, I think it is a good idea to titer (test blood for immunity levels) for distemper, parvo, etc., and only give those when titers show they are necessary.

Rabies is required by law, but some (many, actually) believe that one or two of these can confer enough immunity to last a lifetime. If you live in a state that accepts the three-year vaccine, good for you - you can do it every three years. Doing it annually is really over the top, in my opinion. Especially when you consider that most of the vaccines they are manufacturing now are intended for three-year use. There are just some holdout states that haven't switched to this protocol.

Peridontal vaccine? I have never heard of such a thing.

If you live in an area where leptospirosis is a problem, you will have to weigh whether the risks associated with the vaccine (and there are definite risks) are worth protection.

Bordatella, well, Linda/raian just had a problem with the vaccine, and her report was that problems were apparently not uncommon with the injection. We get the nasal vaccine, but we probably wouldn't bother with that if we didn't show and board them. Kennel cough is pretty much just like a cold...it is self-limiting and the symptoms pass.

This is all just my opinion about things after some research/reading. I am not a vet, nor do I play one on TV.

ETA: I forgot to mention, another thing I have come to believe is in splitting the vaccines. For example, at one year, instead of getting the DHLPP + Rabies + Bordatella, all in one day, it is far kinder to the dog's immune system to split these up by at least a couple of weeks.

Simon just had his annual exam last week. But I had him in three weeks earlier to get his Bordatella. That's all we did that day.

It's a little more trouble/more visits, but my vet has been very agreeable about not charging me for a full office visit if all I do is bring one in for Bordatella.

If either of mine come up needing one of the components in the combo vaccine, I'm going to ask that they order it separately so they can give ONLY what they need.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Thank you!

Kirby is 3. I am going to speak to the vet about all of this.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Libbyb8
    Thank you!

Kirby is 3. I am going to speak to the vet about all of this.
    Let us know what he says!

I will warn you, you might meet with some resistance. Especially if you live in a state that accepts three-year rabies. Here's the reason:

Vets love the annual protocol, because it ensures people will be in there at least once a year. If you didn't have to drop in for rabies, you might not bring in your dog for just an annual wellness exam. Know what I mean?

There is probably also a financial factor, too. Vaccines are the "bread and butter" of the average practice, I would think.

You can tell a lot about a vet from how they react to the suggestion of titers, I think. Personally, over-vaccination is something I feel VERY strongly about. So if they gave me any lip, I'd be looking for another vet. Of course, I realize not everyone feels this same way. I have my reasons, but they don't apply to everyone or every situation.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Standard procedure around here (NJ) is rabies every 3 years, plus a yearly titer and lyme. That's all we do.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

My dog does not get yearly shots. Rabies every 3 years, distemper and parvo every 3 years. He gets his rabies a different year than the distemper and parvo. Bortadella is a waste of money, IMO. They can get kennel cough even with the vaccine. Unless you board your dog or show and they require it, I wouldn't do it. There is also some question as to titers, whether or not they are really reliable. My vet has no problem with the every 3-year vaccine protocol and they do not believe in over vaccinating with every new shot that comes out. I visit a greyhound board where there was a discussion about the periodontal vaccine and several dogs had severe reactions to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast