Jogging w/ your lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jogging w/ your lab

k8show is offline Senior Member

DefaultJogging w/ your lab

Does anyone jog with their dog? I want to run a 5K (3.1miles) with my MIL later this fall and thought Boo might be a good training buddy. We're not going to do speed work or anything intense, but I would like to run about two 10 minute miles with him 5 days a week. He's one year old (tomorrow!) and we are currently walking about 2 to 3 miles 5 days a week.
    Before we start, is this distance and speed safe for him?
    Anyone have any tips?
    Katie and Boo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jogging w/ your lab

No and No. He is still growing (growth plates) and it could cause damage to his joints. Dogs were not meant to jog long distances let alone at that speed. Leave him home.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Bummer. I guess it doesn't seem that far or fast to me since I used to run in college and h.s.

*edit* Just googled the topic and found some good articles. Maybe next year Boo and I can pick up the pace.
    http://running.syr.edu/column/19980921.html
    Katie and Boo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Right now he is too young for jogging. He won't be ready to start until he is 24 months old. By that time the growth plates will have closed and he should be at his adult height/weight.

You certainly CAN jog with an adult dog but in my opinion it's not an ideal form of exercise. Why? because it is forced exercise. The dog is being forced to keep up with you at an unnatural pace. As mentioned above, most dogs (with the exception of conditioned sled dogs and some other working dogs) are not endurance runners. Naturally, a dog will not run continuously without stopping for miles. When off leash a dog will stop to sniff and mark and will change it's pace from walking to trotting to running accordingly.

Right now I would continue with what you are doing - lots of walking. Daily walking will keep him in good condition until you are able to start short jogs together.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You are talking about a 30 min - 5 K. That is about my pace. I am not sure that your dog would be running at that pace, not even sure it would qualify as a trot. I think that might be a brisk walk for the dog. I am curious if those that commented would regard a brisk walk, for the dog, is too much. I would try the pace for a block just to find out how you would describe the dogs motion. Curiosity would make me do it to find out, not as a counter position to the comments made.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

rockwater is offline Senior Member

I agree that you should wait for another while until your dog's growth plates are finished developing. I disagree that the distance and pace you are talking about is too much for your dog. Yes it is forced running but while dogs are not "endurance runners" I think you will find the pace you are talking about will keep your dog trotting maybe. I jog with both mine and they love it. When your dog gets a little older, go for it but watch the dog to be sure he is not overheating and judge the pace...build up to it.

Ken
    Proud dad to Morgan and Tanner.<br /><br />

Tucker. is offline Senior Member

I say do it. At 12 months you definitely fall into the general rule of 5 minutes for every month they are old that everyone here seems to take as gossipel. And a dogs natural pace is faster than your walk anyway.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker
    I say do it. At 12 months you definitely fall into the general rule of 5 minutes for every month they are old that everyone here seems to take as gossipel. And a dogs natural pace is faster than your walk anyway.
    Oh boy...you have so much to learn. While it does fall into the 5 minutes for every month...it's not good for growth plates and especially on hard surfaces can be harmful to growing pups.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Trickster is offline Senior Member

say do it. At 12 months you definitely fall into the general rule of 5 minutes for every month they are old that everyone here seems to take as gossipel. And a dogs natural pace is faster than your walk anyway.
    Yes, a dogs natural pace is faster than a humans WALK, but we are not talking about walking here -- we are talking about jogging. For the protection of the joints, which are still fusing at that stage, all forced exercise should be kept to a minimum. Let's hope for your puppies sake that he is not pre-disposed to any joint conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    You are talking about a 30 min - 5 K. That is about my pace. I am not sure that your dog would be running at that pace, not even sure it would qualify as a trot. I think that might be a brisk walk for the dog.
    You're right. We've done a few little 100m "jogs" together while walking, and it's a trot for him, not a full out gallop. ;D We always walk very briskly--about 16min/mile, not including rest stops. It's the pace that both of us enjoy. We get the walk completed in a decent amount of time, and the faster pace holds his attention better than a slower walk. I don't really have time to walk him then go back out and run by myself. That being said, I don't have my heart set on getting back to my pre-Boo running schedule. We'll just keep at the brisk walks for a while. At that pace, it ends up being a cardio work out for both of us. Hope I can keep up w/ my MIL in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    You certainly CAN jog with an adult dog but in my opinion it's not an ideal form of exercise. Why? because it is forced exercise. The dog is being forced to keep up with you at an unnatural pace. As mentioned above, most dogs (with the exception of conditioned sled dogs and some other working dogs) are not endurance runners. Naturally, a dog will not run continuously without stopping for miles. When off leash a dog will stop to sniff and mark and will change it's pace from walking to trotting to running accordingly.
    When we walk, he wants to do all of these things--mark, sniff, change pace. Of course, he's allowed to go potty and take a sniff break or two, but I set the pace and let him know when it's time to stop sniffing and get back to walking. If we ran, I would treat him the same way--a few breif sniff and potty breaks. Doesn't that make leashed walks as "unnatural" or "forced" as leashed runs?
    Katie and Boo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast