Oh No Skippy!

Thread: Oh No Skippy!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultOh No Skippy!

After I walked the dogs tonight, I was working in the back yard with my flowers. The dogs kept running around to the front yard and I would go call them to come back with me. The second time they came running around the house, Skippy carefully carrying something fairly large. He quietly walked up to me, and dropped a large, headless rabbit at my feet. The neighbors rabbit!!! (my neighbor raises rabbits and several of them have gotten loose and just live in his yard and our garden across the road) I didn't think that he had killed it, because any time he gets a rabbit, he is very possessive of it, and runs joyfully around with it and I have to pry his mouth open to get him to drop it. I couldn't believe that he offered it up to me very quietly and all on his own. SU thinks that it was probably an owl that got it, because of the clean beheading. I googled the topic and it does appear that owls often behead their prey. Other than that, there was nothing wrong with it. I didn't scold him, instead said "poor rabbit" and thanked him for bringing it to me, then wrapped it in a towel (dogs watching) and left it for SU to deal with. Somehow I think they both knew that a little friend next door had died.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Oh No Skippy!

Oh dear, Skippy!! Good boy for bringing the rabbit to Mom. :-X
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Good Skippy.

I'm glad my neighbors don't keep rabbits. My girls wouldn't leave anything for owls.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Mine are death on wild rabbits too, and I was really worried when the neighbors rabbits started hanging out in his yard, but the dogs never chased them. Well, they chased one once until they got close to it and realized it was different and then they just stopped and the rabbit sat down next to them. I must admit I was surprised too. I still wouldn't have put it past them to kill a tame rabbit in our yard, except for the decapitation - dogs just don't do that and the way Skip was acting was completely different than if he had caught the rabbit, or even found a dead wildr rabbit.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Awww, Pat. That is so touching. Gentle Skippy. Maybe he thought momma could fix the broken bunny.

Seamus and Flynn

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Oh dear.,..... poor wabbit............

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Oops. Methinks you were just crossed off your neighbour's Christmas card list!!

Cooper always gives rabbits a chase (and squirrels....and cats....and skunks....) but he's never been lucky enough to get one. Well, he did get the skunk and shook the livin' crap out of it....then got nuked. :-\

Bev.
    <br /><br />&quot;Maintiens Le Droit&quot;

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good bot Skippy for bringing the rabbit to your mom. I think you are right about the owl. Abby has chased & killed several rabbits in our yard, I think she either shakes them or the die of fright. All of them were intact.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Ohhhh. Skippy. That was very tender of him, to carefully bring you the rabbit. That's really touching in a way, isn't it?

I hope I would react the way you did, and not freak out, because I really do think it went down like you said.

Poor rabbit. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever