Guess What!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess What!

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultGuess What!

Pitch is a Labrador. I know, it is very hard to see that...

We are at Class tonight. He is the only Labrador. Well one of the more advanced people in our class I have been very impressed with. She has a Sheltie, and she is very intelligent. I asked her how long she had been training her, for she was doing better than Pitch was. She says, well he is a Labrador. I was like, OMG, are you serious, I thought he was a Cocker Spaniel. Of course, I knew right then and there, I was never going to be in her league....

To make matters worse, he is the youngest in the class. So here he is acting like a puppy, pulling at his leash tonight acting like a fool. My teacher says, you let him get away with Murder. OK, maybe I am just not cut out for all this Lab stuff....maybe I should get me a cocker spaniel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Guess What!

Awww, don't let that Sheltie lady get you down. Though, was that a dig at Labradors being less intelligent than Shelties??

I know exactly how you feel... when we were just starting, we had classes with a lady with a robo-Sheltie. This dog was so obedient and Henry and I should have been standing in the corner with dunce caps on. Lady with the robo-Sheltie had little snide remarks for us too. But you know what? Robo-Sheltie wasn't much of a fun dog.

You know what I would do? I'd work extra hard and show her up next week.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

one CANNOT compare a sheltie with a lab. Completely different dogs.

but yes - most sheltie's I have met were VERY fast learners, had TERRIFIC focus on their owners and were very calm.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I would ignore the Sheltie owners comments, pay attention to the instructors comments.

These have come out of the trainers mouth. Some relative to my angel<NOT> Hershey Kisses, sonme relative to another Lab in one of the class sequences.

Attention owners of the Labs! You have one of the smartest breeds. Failure for them to learn is a reflection on the handler.
    Attention owners of the Labs! With intelligence comes stubborn.
    Trainer: Ed! Why isn't Hershey giving you a good heel. Ans. She is too hyped up tonight.
    Trainer: I don't think so. May I take Hershey? Ans. Of course.
    She proceeds to put hershey through every single exercise we have done since the very first sequence I have taken with them She performers perfectly.
    Trainer: Ed, I think the problem is on the other end of the leash. I told you that Labs are about the smartest breed. She knows that you are out of control.
    I could go on.

PS: Had one Sheltie in one sequence of classes. The dog was good.
    PPS: Excluding the one Sheltie, the Labs are the best in the classes. Even though we have each had our off nights.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I hate Shelties, there is something just so creepy about them. I know, that is a broad generalization, but I don't like them.

There is a tri puppy where we train and this thing is like 5 months old and it snarls if you get too close. This lady has three others and they aren't nasty. There is just something about them that screams OLD LADY DOG to me.

When someone says something'antilabrador' to me, I usually come back with 'and is yours waterproof too?' cause generally, they have no response!

Waterproof is a pretty cool super power, don't you think?

> That's too bad. And I thought LABS were superior to every other breed. I'd ignore the comments as well. Pretty much every owner thinks their breed is the best there is. Of course I could tell you every reason in the world why labs are the best breed, but the next dog owner could counter everything I said and put up their argument for shelties...or rotties...or cockers...and so on and so on. It's just too bad she had to be that way and actually SAY it to you. BTW Pitch is not only a labrador, he is a VERY cute one.
    PS Just between you and me, labs really ARE the best breed. :P

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Sheltie owners. : Don't get me started!

We've been "shamed" by a Sheltie owner or two. If you stay in obedience long enough, you will be "shamed" by Border Collie owners and Australian Shepherd owners as well. They seem to love it. Not all, I admit, but a very large percentage. Try to make friends with the Hound owners. They are much more forgiving.

Two completely different breeds, two completely different temperaments. I console myself by thinking those Sheltie owners wouldn't have lasted five minutes with Alligator Death Roll boy.

I like when Angus does something insane, and their eyes get real big: Babies! '

In all seriousness, in my opinion, it is a far greater accomplishment to obedience train a Lab than a Sheltie. ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

PITCH IS GORGEOUS. Give him time. He will succeed wonderfully. Labbies take a little while to calm down. Once he gets into the swing of things, he will make you so very proud. He will be proud too.

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Don't let them get to you. Pitch is great and will do marvelously. I remember the first time I took Duke to puppy training at 6 months, the instructor told me..."Oh with Duke (being a lab) you'll have to take this course about 3 more times." Wrong! Duke graduated in 6 weeks. Labs are smart. But I think Labs have a lust for life.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Labs are smart. And more obedient than some ignorant sheltie owners give them credit for. Sam's big lure is food. When she goes to the dog park she scams treats of the other owners with her rapt attention and pretty sits. She's no dummy, if someone yells come she's there and if they ask her to sit, well, she'll sit for a treat.

It takes time, patience and consistency. Lots of practice outside of class and lots of hot dog in class. Hang in there, he'll come around.

Labs are the feed me, love me, feed me, walk me, feed me some more dogs. They're great companions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast