first time at the dog park

Thread: first time at the dog park

Defaultfirst time at the dog park

Riley had his first trip to the dog park today, and I have to say I was very surprised. He is only a year but was one of the calmest dogs there. He played with the other dogs who seemed playful but was very respectful of the ones who were older or didn't seem to want to play. There were two beautiful goldens there who were so much fun to watch together. They wrestled and played all afternoon, and it makes me think Riley would have so much fun with a brother.
    One thing I don't really understand and definitely didn't expect...there was an older woman there with her senior beagle, and the SECOND Riley started to sniff her dog, she was giving me dirty looks and trying to call her dog away from him. What does she expect to happen at a DOG PARK?
    I think he really enjoyed his day, but we will be on the lookout for some of the troubles I've read about on here.
    Next time I need to remember the camera... :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: first time at the dog park

I'm glad your baby enjoyed his day out

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Perfectly understandable of the elderly lady if her Beagle has been attacked in the past. We have to remember that strangers have no idea what our dogs our like. A dog can go from a sniff to being aggresive in a hurry so I wouldn't be too hard on the older woman and her dog. You only have to have your dog set upon once by a dog that at first looked like it had no ill intentions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Perfectly understandable of the elderly lady if her Beagle has been attacked in the past. We have to remember that strangers have no idea what our dogs our like. A dog can go from a sniff to being aggresive in a hurry so I wouldn't be too hard on the older woman and her dog. You only have to have your dog set upon once by a dog that at first looked like it had no ill intentions.
    This is true, but the understanding in a dog park is that dogs are going to come up to other dogs and greet them. This woman should not have taken her beagle to the park if she was leery of other dogs.
    Becca & Phoebe

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Glad you had a good experience!
    You don't need a second dog, just a regular friend for your pup to meet up with at the park and romp with! but not all dogs play like that, Rocky prefers to sniff around and chase the ball. He only plays with certain dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoebeJeebies
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    This is true, but the understanding in a dog park is that dogs are going to come up to other dogs and greet them. This woman should not have taken her beagle to the park if she was leery of other dogs.
    I agree. The dog didn't just come out of nowhere on teh street or in her yard. This is a dog park. Dogs will go say hello to each other (and humans). If the dog jumps, humps, or is just plain annoying, I can see getting upset. If the dog just sniffed the beagle (and I believe the poster) then she had no reason to get her nose out of joint. PLUS, her tensing up could in turn make the beagle stressed and aggressive/protective (doesn't sound like it, but it could happen)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky