When do they stop growing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do they stop growing?

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen do they stop growing?

When do Labs stop growing? Is it different for Bench vs Field? Pitch has been putting on about 10#'s or so a month since we adopted him. He is just shy of being 9mos old now, and is 62.2#'s as of today. Will he start slowing down weight wise? Or will he continue to grow for a bit longer? I thought I read somewheres that they are full grown by 18mos, that is another 9mos, that would put him at the 150# mark if he continues on this 10# a month. He still has sone filling out to do, but I don't think filling out will be that drastic of a weight increase, or am I wrong? So what is your expierence with growing labs?

-Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When do they stop growing?

Not real sure when it does stop. Mambo was putting a lot on when he was a puppy. But it has really slowed down now. He is 18 months now. He is still getting bigger, just not really putting on weight. He is getting taller.

Riley gained 20 pounds from 4 months to 5 months (43-63 pounds), and then gained 10 from 5 to 6 months (63-73 pounds). I have not kept up that much with his actual weight and go more by how he looks now, but he's about 83 pounds at 13 months. I think the weight gain slowed down IMMENSELY after 6 months, and he's now obviously just doing some filling out. I heard somewhere that if you take the dog's weight at 16 weeks, multiply it by 2 and add up to 10 pounds, you will have a pretty good estimate of adult weight. That looks to be right where Ri will end up...somewhere between 86 and 96 pounds. That would also put his weight gain at less than 5 pounds a month from here on out if he were to be done by the time he's 18 months.
    I have asked a very similar question to this and gotten mixed answers. Some breeders here say their lines are full grown by 18 months to 2 years, and I think it was Labby who said her lines are slower to develop and are done at around 3 years. It seems like it all just depends, but I doubt your pup would keep up at that rate until he's done. It will probably slow down some in the months to come.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

k8show is offline Senior Member

I think Pitch's growth will slow down soon. Boo stopped growing like a weed at around 8 or 9 months. I think at a year old he's reached his adult height as well, but I think he's got 5-10 more pounds until he's at his adult weight.
    Katie and Boo

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I hope soon. Remington is eight months old and 78 lbs, and he is not fat. He's dense, his bones are huge. I'm worried ;D ;D ;D He's a pony in disquise.

k8show is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I hope soon. Remington is eight months old and 78 lbs, and he is not fat. He's dense, his bones are huge. I'm worried ;D ;D ;D He's a pony in disquise.
    giddy-up remington!
    Katie and Boo

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo has seemed to slow a little recently. He was putting on a steady two pounds per week for a while there, but he hasn't been meeting that quota lately. 

He just turned six months. I think he will be on the smaller end size-wise, and his breeder did tell me that dogs from his line are very slow to mature. She said not to be surprised if he's not quite done by 2 years old. 

ETA: he was 51.8 lbs on Friday.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

At 8 months less one week, HK was 62.1 lbs.
    At 8 months plus one week, HK was 62.1 lbs.

I doubt she is done, but it is the first 2 week period without a substantial weight gain.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

I'm sure the older and wiser JL's will know. But I've checked Dukes weight every month in the last 3 1/2 years. Oh, and he is field line. Even at the weight he is now, He doesn't look fat. He's small for his line. 22 inches to the "shoulders" (sorry, don't know the right terminology). But he's solid muscle. The vet would still like to see him at about 72 #'s

8wks 11#'s

16wks 49#'s

6 months 59.5 #'s

1 year 80 #'s

18 months 83#'s

2 years 87#'s
    Vet said he needs to lose some weight

3 years 79#'s

3 1/2 78 #'s

and that is where the weight has been maintaining plus or minus a half pound Duke will be 4 in November.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

6 months to 1 year and a 33% incease iin weight.

I did not want to read that. Please take it back.

That is going to put HK at ~75 lbs. My anticipation was 65 lbs which I thought would be perfect.

HK,

You are going to be one skinny girl!

Dad
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast