Long coated "Fluffy" Labradors

Thread: Long coated "Fluffy" Labradors

DefaultLong coated "Fluffy" Labradors

Hello,

This is already a topic of discussion on several other boards, please feel free to cross-post if you wish and we are also available to answer questions...

I realize this is not as serious a situation like a severe inherited disorder, but I'm curious if any of you have ever seen or heard of purebred labrador retrievers that have a long or fluffy coat? If you would prefer to email me privately for confidentiality reasons my personal email address is [email protected].

We've recently discovered that the recessive gene that causes long coats in other breeds is also fairly prevalent in labrador retrievers and DNA testing has confirmed this.

The exact origin of this is not completely understood although it appears this likely goes back many years- we'll leave the origin discussion to the breed historians and gurus. We are certain that this is not the result of a recent parentage issue resulting from an "oops' mating to a different breed, it's much more established than that. I have several pictures I can share if you would like to email me privately. Feel free to post them online if you like.

I'm also interested in any pictures and/or pedigree information that you have to share as well.

Thanks for any input.

Randall Smith
    DDC Veterinary
    www.vetdnacenter.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Long coated "Fluffy" Labradors

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. I think you're thinking of a "Golden Retriever"....

Here's my long-coated lab pic:

Hee hee.... ;D

Seriously though..... I'd be curious to see the details of the research....
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I read this before.
    DDC Veterinary in Fairfield, Ohio is pleased to announce a new DNA test for coat-length among Labrador Retrievers.

Long-haired coat length is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait, therefore dogs that are carriers of the long-hair allele will appear to be short haired but will likely pass on the long-hair allele 50% of the time.

The purpose of this new DNA test is to accurately identify coat- length genotypes. Breeders can use this information to manage mating patterns and make better selection decisions.

There are 3 genotypes for coat length can be identified with this new DNA test:

1) N/N Clear (those having 2 copies of the short-hair allele [N] and appear to be short-haired)

2) N/F Carrier (those having 1 copy of the normal short-hair allele [N] and 1 copy of the long-hair allele [F] and appear to be short-
    haired)

3) F/F Affected (those having 2 copies of the long-hair allele [F] and appear to be long-haired)

Some of the particulars:

• DNA samples can be collected easily at home using buccal (cheek)
    swabs provided as part of a free DNA sample collection kit.

• Dogs can be DNA tested at ANY age.

• The cost for testing is $58 (US) per canine with a $10 discount
    per test for 5 or more submitted at the same time. Payment can be submitted with the return samples.

• A detailed DNA report will be mailed within 10 business days of
    receipt of the samples. Results are also emailed the day of completion to avoid potential delays with regular mail service.

For questions, comments, or to order sample collection kits, please
    call us at 1-800-625-0874 or email us at [email protected]
    You can also order sample collection kits online here... http:// www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-long-hair-test.html

Thank you for your consideration.

DDC Veterinary
    DNA Technology Park
    One DDC Way
    Fairfield, Ohio 45014
    1-800-625-0874

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No! never seen a long haired lab - is this true or is it a whined up.

Quote Originally Posted by okjoy
    No! never seen a long haired lab - is this true or is it a whined up.
    Labrador Retrievers originally came from the St. John's water dog, who had a longer coat than the Labs of today have, so I hardly think this whined up.

I think that this is a test carried over from other breeds that they are attempting to apply in labs. I guess it could be an issue in conformation.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I'm confused. Wouldn't a fluffy lab really be a Flat-Coated Retriever?

Like brindling and tan points, "fluffy" coats are a throw back to some previous crosses labradors went through and occasionally pop up when both parents carry the recessive trait. They do indeed look very much like a golden or flat coated retriever only with a labrador build.