Need honest opinions . . . anal sac removal
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need honest opinions . . . anal sac removal

lablimo is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed honest opinions . . . anal sac removal

Haylee has been having problems with her anal sacs. She was scooting, so I took her into the vet and they were completely full -- it has been necessary for us to take her in about every three weeks to have them expressed. Not a problem. Well, I had her in again today because she was scooting again -- her sacs were full and this was only six days after they had been expressed. Thankfully, there was no infection. My vet, who I love and respect, talked with me about anal sac removal. He explained the procedure, recovery and possible short term problems (i.e., dropping a little poop when she's excited) until the sphincter (SP?) gets back into proper working order.

So, what do you think? I don't want to constantly have to worry about Haylee being uncomfortable. I have tried more fiber in her diet and that, obviously, has not worked. Need some honest feedback from those who have experienced this procedure or know a bit more about it. Hubby and I will talk about it tonight, but would like some honest opinions from my fellow JL ers!! Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need honest opinions . . . anal sac removal

I hear that some people who had anal gland problems and then switched to a raw diet eliminated the anal gland problems.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I would not do it. Learn how to express her anal glands yourself.

This surgery is much more involved than your vet is telling you, and most dogs have problems after. Two of my vets told me not to do it with a previous old dog I had with similiar problems. I learned how to express the glands myself.

Just my 2 cents worth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. My vet did explain, in great detail, what is involved and I know it is not to be taken lightly. I appreciate your feedback. It is not something I would do without fully exploring all possibilities. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Just be aware that one possible side effect of this procedure is inability to control defecation. The anal sacs are positioned such that it is possible to accidently severe the nerves that control the anal sphincter. If you do decide to have this surgery done, make sure that it is only done by a surgeon who is VERY experienced in the procedure. Sorry. I don't want to scare you, but I feel you need to be aware of the potential problems because if a nerve is severed, it can't be replaced.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Kiddsmom makes a valid point. What are you feeding?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I feed Haylee Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal and have for about 3 years. She had some food allergies which is why she is on this formula. Perhaps one higher in fiber might be better? What do you guys think? Perhaps a food change is in order? I really don't want to put her through the surgery, but I also don't want her to be uncomfortable all the time with her sacs. Honestly, the side effects scare the hell out of me.

This is what I feed Haylee -- is the fiber sufficient? Perhaps this may be the problem?

http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Duck.html

Do you know what she is allergic to?

Haylee is allergic to wheat and corn.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast