I don't know what to think!! *sigh*
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what to think!! *sigh*

DefaultI don't know what to think!! *sigh*

So, I have a looong lunch today (don't have to be back in the office until 4:30 ), and it's a beautiful day out, so I thought, I think I'll take Henery to the park for some Chuck-It! since I work tonight until 7. It'll be a nice break in the day for him.

So off we go. This is a smallish park (Greenway) that connects to the biggest park in London (Springbank). Lots of peeps use Springbank for walking/running/biking/walking dogs&kids as well as the open spaces for picnics/soccer etc. Greenway is almost always quiet. There's a path through it, and a small playground for kids, but that's about it. Becca can vouch for how quiet it is, even on a Saturday morning!!

There's a grassy part away from the road which runs along some longer grasses/wild brush that I like to let Henry off leash in as it's far enough from the playground that we wouldn't get grief from the parents. This is Henry's Chuck-It stomping grounds!

I digress.. so we're playing Chuck-It (interspersed with much sniffing and exploring through the grass) when we come up onto the hill and there's some guy with his immense Hummer parked at the side. Maybe he's having a picnic. So Henry and I turn around and Chuck-It back the other way.

Suddenly I hear the jingling of dog tags (we're about a soccer field away from the Hummer at this point) and this beautiful husky girl comes running up behind us. She's friendly... 'niffs me first, then Henery, who doesn't really care at this point because, "Momma, throw the ball!!".

We walk back down the length of the park, still Chuck-It-ing and the husky is still kinda hanging around us. By the time we get back to the parking lot, I still have yet to see sign of the husky's owner and she is running all over the parking lot. I put Henry in our car (she wanted to get in too!) and then call her over and walk back up a ways to see if I can see her owner. Finally, he comes by with his Hummer, all nonchalantly. Meanwhile, his dog is running all over the place.

Honest to god. Maybe I'm just super paranoid and uber protective but I would never let Henry out of my sight for a second let alone the 10-15 min it took to walk back down the length of the park.

You know how easy it could have been for me to snatch that pretty girl?? Or, if I was some sicko, harm her?

*head shaking*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I don't know what to think!! *sigh*

felicia, i totally agree with you.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Yikes, we have one of those that lives in our neighborhood. I go to the park and this pretty elderly yellow girl always comes out to play. . .no idea where from, but she does. I am just greatful that my dogs are friendly, or she'd be in big trouble. Poor old thing.

Takes all kinds...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pj

Quote Originally Posted by luke from georgia
    felicia, i totally agree with you.
    ME TOO!

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Yep, I hear ya, too. I can't imagine giving Sundance a wide enough berth that he could be snatched or hurt by someone else. When he's offleash, he's required to stay nearby, and I watch/follow him like a hawk.

I hope the husky's owner doesn't find out the hard way about not letting his dog stray too far.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I like to have my dogs insight at all times.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

Eeeshk Felicia...that stupid man doesn't deserve a pretty girl like her! >
    Becca & Phoebe

I don't like putting mine out in the fenced in yard and turn my back... I have words for that guy but I wont use them around a lady!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh man. : This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy too.

Felicia, I think part of it is just being a guy. I know Kevin is just in love with the idea that he can walk around with the boys without them on a leash, and they will always come back and never chase anything (in his head, that is...this is how he imagines it). Guys, I think *in general,* are a bit more cavalier about their dogs. :P

You are 100% right on all counts. Anything can happen in just a split second. It makes me so nervous, people who just let them run...

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Sadly, this isn't the first time I've heard of something like this...

My friend took her dog to the off leash dog park last year in the winter and noticed a woman sitting in her car next to the gate. While she was playing with her dog she saw that the woman was still just sitting there...no dog in her car or anything. She also happened to notice a dog running around in the park that didn't seem to have anyone playing with it...it wasn't until later when the lady got out of her car and called the dog that my friend realized that the woman had basicly just let her dog play in the park unsupervised while she sat in her car and waited. Aparantly it was too cold out or something and she figured that everyone else at the park would keep an eye on her dog for her. >

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast