I need some opinions quick please! Im freaking out here!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some opinions quick please! Im freaking out here!

DefaultI need some opinions quick please! Im freaking out here!

Cheddar played outside last night with our entire family for about 3-4 hours last night, everyone had a blast. He was acting perfectly normal when we went to bed. I woke up @ 2 a.m. and he was in bed wit the wife and I. This NEVER happens. Then this morning, my wife let him out to do his business and he went outside and just laid on the ground, walked a few feet, went podie, walked about 3 feet more, went again and then laid down on the driveway. Then about 30 min ago, my daughter came to tell me that Cheddie was laying inher room and crying. I naturally ran upstairs to see the dog and low and behold, here he is rolled up in a ball whining. I touched his stomach lightly and he made a really weird noise. I tried saying the things I say to rile him up and nothing, he wouldnt even look at me. Called the vet, she figures its a blockage, could I come in in 3 hours. 3 Hours? If he has a blockage I want him seen right now. Anyways, I get off the phone and up he comes, acting half normal. Goes outside and podies but it is like spurting and goin everywhere, not a normal stream. He also poops, which is slightly runny. I am wondering if it isnt possibly a urinary tract infection. Any opinions? I havent had a dog in a long time, so I dont remember all the signs of stuff. We cant get to the vet till 2 hours yet

Symptoms
    Spurting urine
    Semi runny Feces
    Not eating
    Not Drinking
    He will walk for a bit, but then either sits or lays down right away, not normal for him either.

Any help is appreciated

*edit* Dont know if it matters, but he eats Science Diet dog food. Occasionally some Alpo Prime Slices also, which he had 2 days ago.

*edit* waiting on blood results - hopefully they come back clean!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I need some opinions quick please! Im freaking out here!

Sorry. Have no clue. I would get him to the vet asap. Just wanted to wish him well and let you know I will be thinking baout him.

I'd get him to a vet ASAP. Also if he hasn't had anything to drink since yesterday you could be looking at dehydration. I've never heard of runny stools caused by a UTI but I could be wrong. It does sound like a blockage.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

My boy Murph had a blockage nearly a year and a half ago now. He stopped eating, drinking and did as you described:

"He will walk for a bit, but then either sits or lays down right away, not normal for him either."

I'm not saying that Cheddar has a blockage but you just won't know until you get him to the vets. Another one of the tell-tale signs of a blockage is that the dog will have no temperature. If it was a sickness bug, they would have a temperature.

Best of luck and do let us know how it goes.

I think waiting hours would be a mistake. Take him to the vet ASAP. When Cinder had her blockage the vet said if we had waited even a couple more hours she could have died. I don't know about the urine thing, maybe he's having a hard time controling his muscles used to urinate or the ones used to hold himself in the correct position because of pain.

Scout and friends Guest

I wouldn't wait either, I'd go now. My breeder told me labs have a very high threshold to pain. If they whimper in pain, they're in a lot of pain.

Good thoughts for Cheddar.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

GO TO YOUR VET!
    Brenda from Connecticut

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I think it sounds like it could be a blockage too. Angus had one a couple of years ago.

I also think your instincts were right...Chedda needs to be seen asap. Why is the vet saying three hours? I think you should call them back and tell them you are very concerned about waiting too long if it is a blockage, and ask why the wait? :-\

As Trickster said, there is no way to tell for sure until you get there, but it sure warrants some immediate attention.

Please update! Blockages really get me worried. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Definitely off to the vet. They can squeeze in a preliminary 'triage' visit for sure to see if it warrants further immediate attention!

If they wouldn't, personally i'd be switching vets after this issue resolves.

keep us updated..

I think I would just take him. Chances are, they're not going to turn you away if you show up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast