Ring bell to go potty
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring bell to go potty

DefaultRing bell to go potty

Okay, I thought I was so smart teaching my 2 to ring a "jingle bells" that I tied to the slider door to let me know when they had to go potty. I made the mistake of teaching them w/treats. Teko will ring the bell a hundred times a night now for treats!!! : I guess it's good exercise for me b/c I have to keep going to the kitchen to see if he really wants out or is begging for a treat! At least I know if he wants a treat, he rings it & lays down. If he wants out, he rings it & faces the door. He has definitely outsmarted me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ring bell to go potty

LOL I can see my two doing that too.

This is sooo funny. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rebel learned that too. She finally quit when we stopped the treats and then started ringing the bells just to go outside and play and not go potty. She has definitely outsmarted me. Luckily they don't use the bells now that they are older, they have learned to jiggle door knobs instead.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

LOL! Kai was taught to ring the bell without the use of treats. For a while he would ring it to be let out to play, but he's pretty good now. If Samm needs to go outside, he just comes and stares at me. :

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lab lover
    At least I know if he wants a treat, he rings it & lays down. If he wants out, he rings it & faces the door. He has definitely outsmarted me!
    sounds like you've outsmarted him! ;D

i bell trained luke without use of treats. going outside was the reward. he never misuses the ringing of the bell. it's always to potty. the only time playtime and outside are paired together is when i engage them in play, but otherwise, my dogs don't seem to be able to find much fun outside on their own. *shrug*

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

bibber is offline Senior Member

LOL! Bodie learned to ring the bell with treats, but he learned it so fast (like in 15 minutes) he never really focused on the treats. (That's the only thing he's ever learned that fast.) But Bodie really likes to sniff around and lay down outside, so he would ring the bell all the time just to go sniff. It's been almost 4 years now, and it's kind of tapering off. So maybe you only have a few more years of constant bell-ringing left.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

We used the bell. Mambo caught on fast. But soon the bell was my worst nightmare. Wanted to play, ring the bell. wanted attention from us while watching tv, ring the bell. See a squirrel, ring the bell. We got rid of the bell !!!!

Copper just sits in front of the door if she needs to go and doesn't make a sound. When Tally notices this, she rings the bell for her. Of course it is another excuse for my want to be outdoor dog to go out and lay in the grass but I think it is prety smart
    Pat

Cooper caught on very quickly that if he rang the bell, he got to go out...and PLAY! Our fault, because our reward for him when he was a pup if he did his business, was a few throws of the tennis ball. So after a couple of days, he clued in - "ring bell, I go out, pee a few drops and I get to play! Stupid humans." <insert evil laughter here>

Bev.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast