Off Topic

Thread: Off Topic

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultOff Topic

I know this is not lab related, but I consider you all family, and Just needed to ease my mind. In society that we live in today, I have been always very cautious. Always keeping my eyes open, not parking in dark areas, etc. Even more so, since I became a mom. Well tonight I had to go get grocerys, old mother hubbards cubboards were bare. I took my 3yr old with me, since she needed some mommy time. After coming out of the store, I always open Emma's door so she can get in, so I can load the grocerys. Well I had my side to the grocery cart so I could see around me, loading the grocerys into the car. Emma was already in her seat. This older gentleman (70+) pulls up behind me. Gets out of his car, and says Excuse me. Can you help me. Mommy Radar went on. I said what is the matter. He says he thinks he has a flat tire, but his eyes are bad, could I look. The nervous Nelly I am, looks at his tire from where I was standing, and I said well looks fine to me. I said to him, get back into your vechile and I will give you a thumbs up or down if I notice a problem as you drive off. He said ok. It looked fine, gave him the thumbs up, and off he drove.

I guess what bothered me, is I am sure it was innocent of him to need my help. Yet with the way society is today, who can you trust. I got into my truck, locked the doors, and took a deep breath. Thankfully I am a mile from the grocery store. I kept thinking is he gonna follow me home? I told DH about it, and he said I get paranoid over everything. What would you do in this incident? Do you help the old man, or do you pretend you don't hear him and look the other way.

Again Sorry I posted this here, just pretty uncertain, and wanted to clear my head.
    -Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Off Topic

I think YOU were right in being cautious...... you handled it very well IMO........you can't be too cautious these day.......

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Maybe it's from not being a mom, but I tend to over-trust. I probably would have gotten in his car if he had candy. (j/king! ;D)

But you might get more replies if you post this in O&E
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You had your daughter with you. Mommy radar went off. No need to second guess yourself! I wouldn't feel bad for not helping him more than you did. That was quick thinking to suggest he drive off for you to see the tire!

Regardless of what he may think, you have your child to think of first, and you did the right thing! I'd rather be safe and look rude than polite and put myself or my children in a dangerous situation.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Ummm... his eyes are so bad that he can't see if his tire is flat, yet he is driving????? ???
    I think you did the right thing.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Shannon, you definitely can't be too careful!

I don't have a child, but if I did, I prolly would have locked the car doors (child inside) so that nobody could grab her while I went to look, kept my finger on the panic button of my key fob, and then had a look at the old man's tires.

It is kinda troubling if he can't see his tires but is still driving!

momofalab is offline Senior Member

After the thought, didn't think of that....bad eyes, why is he driving...good point. Sorry to drop news on you guys...but just needed it off my chest so I could sleep tonight. I let things bother me to much! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to lay my mind at ease.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffersonsMom
    Ummm... his eyes are so bad that he can't see if his tire is flat, yet he is driving????? ???
    I think you did the right thing.
    Bingo! I think you did the right thing. You just never know about strangers anymore.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

62 year old grandfather says you did the right thing. And suggests if he took another step toward you that you should start screaming your lungs out. Yep! It is the society we live in. It is too bad that it is this way. Too many kooks in this world. When I am leaving a store and a woman is leaving at the same time (especially in the dark) I try to get in a positionn ahead of her and walk faster than she is. My goal is to give her the comfort of seeing me moving away and not to be behind her causing nervousness.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

He can't see his tire, but he can clearly see you giving a thumbs up in the dark? Sounds very fishy, and you handled it well, I probably would have screamed at him to get back in his car. I tend to react violently/loudly when threatened.