Digital Camera Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera Question

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultDigital Camera Question

I apologize if this is off topic and belongs somewhere else.

So many of us take pics of our dogs with digital cameras. I am not happy with the Sony pocket type that I have. Primarily because of the delay from click to pic actually taken. I end up with some level of blur because I am moving the camera and the shutter hasn't clicked yet. The camera started misbehaving yesterday, we were out with granddaughter and miss several great shots because of it. DW ordered me to get a new camera. Oh! The pain of it all.

So, I like the convenience of the pocket camera with self contained flash, but know going back to an SLR type with lens choices will yield better photos. Do the Nikon and Canon SLRs have the same type of delays that most if not all of the pockets have? Are there pocket cameras out there without this delay?

What cameras are you guys using and what do you like dislike about them? Primary subject matter is going to be dogs and grandchildren.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Digital Camera Question

Ed!! New camera, very exciting!! Can't wait for more pics of HK!!  \

Anyways, I have a Nikon D50. I really love it, it can do soooo much (I've had it for 9 months and still haven't figured out everything it can do!)

There is no delay (unless you set the timer), and you can adjust your brightness, flash/no flash, white balance (you can tell the camera that there is incandescent, flourescent, or natural sunlight where you are shooting, so it will adjust itself), and manual/automatic focus (you can also pick your focus area)

You can also adjust shutter speed (I've just learned to do that - hence my "dogpark" thread - I'm sooo excited!)

These are the things I use most often, there is so so much more that I haven't even uncovered yet!

Once you learn the basics, it really isn't rocket science. I was VERY intimidated when I first got it, because I had only ever used disposables before that... (my secret shame! hee hee)

But it honestly was a lot easier than I thought!  ;D

The big downside with the SLRs is the price. Mine was a christmas present, and Dan saved for a few months to get it for me.  :-*

If you have the money, though, it's totally worth it. I have so many awesome baby pictures of Baloo, that to me is priceless. 

Edited to add: There is some delay if you're shooting in automatic and the camera is struggling to adjust the light/flash/focus. I just get around that by shooting in manual modes. Then you can adjust as needed.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

I am in the same boat as you. I have a sony cybershot and I hate how long it takes to take the picture. Time it's ready, the shot is over. Plus, man. SOmetimes it takes 5 or more pictures to get a good shot. I am curious if other digitals are the same too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hunter is offline Senior Member

Another downside of a SLR is the size, heavy to carry for long distances, and do you really want to take a $1000 + camera to the dog park. In my younger days when I was into downhill skiing, I would cary a SLR Minolta on the inside of my jacket, after a couple of wipe outs and a bruised stomach I opted for a smaller camera.

SLR's will give you the best picture quality, speed, and gives you the option to add zoom lenses and flashes. This was taken with a SLR with a telephoto lens, lots of deatil and very clear, even with all the movement going on.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I just wear mine around my neck. Once you get used to it, it's not so bad.

I've taken it to the dog park, to the beach, and many many other places. it's gotten sandy, dirty, slobbered on etc. and survived. 

As long as you exercise even the minimal amount of caution/care, you're alright. There's also covers for the lenses that are like, $30, that keep it safe.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

$1K camera at the dog park! Not on raining days. Probably not when there is snow on the ground either. Have to work through all the scenarios. Might be able to tolerate the pocket camera I have for the dog park and take my chances on functioning.

I used to be SLR only. Had a Minolta and always had a filter lens on as a sacrificial for scratches. I supposed the thing I like the most about the poscket camera, is just that. Easy to have handy almost anywhere. But the results just aren't the same.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

I have a Canon Elph (pocket camera) that I bought last year and love it. Depending on the setting you choose, the time to picture is quite fast. You may want to go to a local camera shop and check out the new models, test before you buy. Then research price online. I highly recommend Canon. I did a lot of research prior to buying it and Sony Cybershots did not get nearly as good reviews as the Canon's did. If yours is more than a couple years old, you may be surprised at how far they have come.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I have an Olympus SP-310 (it is a 7.1 mega-pixels) that I got from my parents for my 40th birthday. I love it, it takes great photos and the time to picture is good. It does quite a bit of stuff, but I have yet to figure it all out.

Size-wise I love it, it fits in my pocket and weighs not quite 8 ounces. If you remember the Penn State football game thread I started around Labor Day, all the photos I posted of the game were taken with this camera.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Felix Guest

I've got a canon eos 400, a canon mark II (+ a lot of add-on-lenses) and a canon powershot IS 1S :-X

But i love them all, and take a lot of pictures depending on what quality i demand

I have a Sony DSC-S70 (about 7 yrs old). It has the delay you are talking about but I get around that by depressing the shutter 1/2 way so the camera focuses then when I depress it the rest of the way it takes the photo immediately. The lag comes from the camera trying to read the lighting so by doing it this way, I eliminate that delay. It does take some time to get your timing down for action photos but I've gotten pretty good at it. Even had some of my photos published in a couple of publications.

I just bought my first SLR...a Nikon D80 which I positively LOVE! I also considered Sony but I got POd at Sony for changing the memory stick and batteries so none of my current supplies would work with the newer Sony. Nikon cameras can use most, if not all, of the lenses in their line so that was a plus. I also looked at the Cannon which is very similar to the Nikon. In the end it came down to the fact that I know lots of people with the Nikon who can help me out with questions.

I still want to buy a newer/smaller point and shoot camera that will fit in my pocket. I am considering the Sony T200 for that purpose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast