dry heaving question

Thread: dry heaving question

Defaultdry heaving question

so my dog's been dry heaving a lot since the other night, so i kept taking her outside to see if she'd eat grass (which usually when she dry heaves she eats grass so she can actually throw up and then she's fine) but she didn't eat any of it. she didn't eat her food last night really. she isn't dry heaving as much today but she's still doing it and still isn't getting anything up - i thought maybe she had something caught in her throat or something but i can't tell i tried giving her ice cream to see if that'd help her throat cause i'm sure it has to be irritated by now from dry heaving so much. i hate hearing her dry heave makes me feel bad for her :-\ especially since she's been doing it since the other night. so i was wondering what do you give your dog to help them when they are dry heaving?

she kinda sounds like a cat when they get hairballs

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: dry heaving question!

Kennel Cough can sound like 'unproductive retching'

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: dry heaving question!

Bloat can also cause dry heaving. That dog should be seen ASAP by a vet.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: dry heaving question

I agree with Labby. That dog needs to be seen by a vet right away :-\ :-\

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

I've heard my boys do that following a stay at the kennel. Neither of them never really came down with a full blown case of KC, but I'm quite sure that was it.

Brenda from Connecticut

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Bloat was the first thing I thought, too. Does the dry heaving happen often? I mean, has it happened before this incident?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    Bloat was the first thing I thought, too. Does the dry heaving happen often? I mean, has it happened before this incident?
    she doesn't dry heave that much really, i mean every once in awhile she will but it's not something that happens all the time. she was dry heaving a lot the other night which usually when she does that it means she needs to throw up but she really hasn't thrown up anything other then a little mucus that i saw - i was thinking maybe when she was chewing on her bone that maybe a small piece she chewed off got stuck in her throat or didn't go down the right way or something b/c she was fine all day yesterday until night time when she was chewing on her bone. she's not doing the dry heaving as much today it sounds kinda more like coughing now, like i said if you've ever heard a cat trying to get up a hairball how they sound that's kinda how she sounds.

she still wants to play with her ball and wants me to play with her so i guess she feels okay if she's still wanting to play and wagging her tail. i'm hoping by today or tomorrow she'll fully stop dry heaving/coughing. i'm gonna keep an eye on her though like i said i'm hoping she'll be fine and it's nothing

she hasn't really fully lost her appetite or anything, she ate some of her food earlier. she's still been eating her treats too (she gets those when she goes outside to use the bathroom)

If this were my dog I'd be seeing the vet this morning.
    Olie

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

It sounds like kennel cough, so I would definately go to the vet.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

but if it was bloat, and it's been two days, the dog would be at death's door, no?

Regardless, a vet check is in order.