A few questions?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions?

DefaultA few questions?

Toshi is still off/on sleeping. She awoke to run out and pee/poop, played for a bit in the mulch and tug of war. Now she sleeping again which I guess to my understanding puppies do alot?

Another thing, I have a bed made for her kinda lumpy and warm, but after awhile she moves back to the concrete floor and starts to shiver a bit! Any idea why? She was kept outside since she was born, so would that be instinct from sharing siblings/mothers warmth and then back to the concrete!?

Toshi is also on occasion scratching in the air at her collar. I've scratched for her and then she stops but then repeats a bit later? Think the collar is bothering her since never had one before, or is the collar made of something thats bugging her?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A few questions?

Don't have all the answers - others will answer you better but...Do you have her in a crate. Concrete floor is not a good place for her to sleep.
    As for scratching at the collar, you are right - she is not used to having anything around her neck and will do this until she gets used to the collar, shouldn't take long. If you put her in her crate, it would be best to remove the collar and then put it back on her when she is with you.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Yep puppies do sleep alot, except for during the night ! I agree 100% with using a crate, had never used one for a dog before Sammi and have to say I was a little hesitant to do so, but after finding this board, even befor I had Sammi- I decided to try it! It seriously was the best purchase we have made for her! Good luck with this first night-Toshi sure is a sweet heart!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No I don't have a crate, and prolly won't have one! I like to train them myself, and so far no incidents. She has been giving very clear signs she needs to pee/poop and has been responding to her name well to go out....its coming back in she's hesitating on , but she'll learn this is her new home soon enough!

Most of the basement is carpeted except for a few areas which she'll be blocked from while I'm sleeping.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Puppies do sleep alot. I have to agree with the others, a crate is a good thing for puppies. It keeps them safe when you can't supervise. It also helps with housebreaking. The scratching may be Toshi getting used to wearing one. Good luck with your new puppy.

Thx for the help and answers, I'm sure I'll get through the puppy time with no real problems! Never hurts to have too many questions though. ...and as far as a crate goes, if have any issues with frequent incidents I'll consider building one for her, but for now she'll be locked in my room overnight which will kinda be a giant crate for her which I have done the same with my other 2 dogs and that worked ok!

You might want to think about a crate. If you have to go away and leave her at home you know your stuff isn't going to get damaged and she isn't going to get into anything that could hurt her. Also there will be a point in her life where you will probably have to crate her. John, a friend of mine is self-employed and his dog Otto goes wherever he goes, he has never been in a crate. Last year Otto, who is 11 had to stay overnight at the vet and they crated him. The next morning they came in and Otto had broke two teeth on the crate door trying to get out. I believe that the more positive experiences you expose your dog too as a puppy the less problems you will have with them as an adult.
    Olie

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't want to sound like a "know it all" & I am not being mean......but you may want to buy a crate. Not only will it prevent your things from getting damaged, but the biggest reason is your pups safety. Puppies love to chew, especially labs. They are well known for eating many things, some of which can cause an obstruction & may require surgery. A bedroom is way too big for a puppy to be wondering around in. Too many things like electrical cords etc. to chew on.
    JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    A bedroom is way too big for a puppy to be wondering around in. Too many things like electrical cords etc. to chew on.
    JMHO.
    Well technically the entire basement is kinda my bedroom....no major walls really! Where I have my TV and 3 PC's, etc are all away from the sleeping area where Toshi would be barred in. All cords in that area are heavily blocked or hidden under the carpet, behind objects she'd never move, etc I made sure to get myself well prepared against cord chewing and anything dangerous off the floor or from puppy reach during the week I was waiting for her!

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    You might want to think about a crate. If you have to go away and leave her at home you know your stuff isn't going to get damaged and she isn't going to get into anything that could hurt her. Also there will be a point in her life where you will probably have to crate her. John, a friend of mine is self-employed and his dog Otto goes wherever he goes, he has never been in a crate. Last year Otto, who is 11 had to stay overnight at the vet and they crated him. The next morning they came in and Otto had broke two teeth on the crate door trying to get out. I believe that the more positive experiences you expose your dog too as a puppy the less problems you will have with them as an adult.
    Olie
    Ditto, ditto and ditto.

For the mere reason of having to leave your dog (vacation) somewhere other than your home (friends house, kennel, etc), the exposure to a crate is indispensible. Do you fully understand some of the reasoning behind a crate? It's their den; their safe place. They enjoy the enclosed feeling of the walls around them. My boys are four yrs. old, and still prefer to be in their crate. The door has since been removed, but I've left one up because they enjoy sleeping in it. Please rethink it. As your puppy ages, there will be inevitable fears and anxieties and you may not always be welcomed in to untouched room, while you're away.
    Brenda from Connecticut

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast