We had an accident...

Thread: We had an accident...

DefaultWe had an accident...

We have not had an accident in at least a year...maybe more, well today we had one on our brand new rug! It is an oriental area rug and I was wondering if anyone had any home or store bought remedies to remove the odor. I am worried about taking the color out with a cleaner that is to strong. We have only had the rug a few weeks...of course she couldn't walk into the dining room and use the old one

I think I just missed her cue to go out...I was outside when it happened.

Anyway, any help would be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We had an accident...

I have several orientals and what I did was to to spray a mild cleaner on the area then lift up the rug and put a bucket under the spot and pour water over the area and flush it. I would keep doing this till I felt it was clean and then let it air dry. Also be sure to clean the floor well under the rug. Test the cleaner in a small spot first.

Brookville, Pa.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I have used OUT for pet accidents. It works well & I haven't noticed the color come out of anything yet. Isn't it always the new stuff that accidents happen on? :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    I have used OUT for pet accidents. It works well & I haven't noticed the color come out of anything yet. Isn't it always the new stuff that accidents happen on? :
    Of course...or something that has been recently cleaned... :

I don't know how expensive your rug is BUT we did not have an issue with Baxter but with my cat! In my opinion yes either dog or cat urine smells but I think cat urine is worse. Anyways our rug is oriental style too. Apparently the cat had urinated multiple times and we did not spend much time in that room but when we finally did realize... yuck! We tried just about everything. Steam cleaning with carpet shampoo, natures miracle, NOTHING was touching it. It may sound gross but out of desperation in our bathtub in the downstairs bathroom my husband took the rug put hot soapy water in the tub and literally soaked the rug in the bathtub. I think for a day maybe it was two. Then we put it out in the sun to dry. It worked!! Smell completely gone. Again I do not know how expensive your rug is or how big it is. We bought ours from Ikea for like $40. But if its expensive maybe if shampooing and natures miracle doesn't work maybe consider professional cleaning??? Good luck!!

Kelly