Remington gets Tranquilizers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington gets Tranquilizers

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRemington gets Tranquilizers

It's been an ongoing issue with this dog that he simply will not allow anyone to restrain him, and it's a pain in the @ss, to say the least.

This morning after a 45 minute fight I still could not get the eyedrops in his eyes.

I've tried EVERYTHING with this dog. My breeder has tried. And now my friend who is a vet has tried.

So, my vet friend wrote me a refill for a tranq. so that we can stop fighting with him and hopefully get him over this.

I'm going to give him one an hour before we medicate his eyes tonight. Praying it will take the edge off so I can get the drops in and be done with it.

I have never owned an animal like this before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Remington gets Tranquilizers

He sounds like he is very strong willed. Hope the tranquilizers help. Remi....behave, mama's just trying to help make you better. Good Luck
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

labby is offline Senior Member

Hope it works and you can get his eye cleared up

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't really think it's strong willed. He absolutely panics when you try to restrain him in the littlest way. Vet friend told me we need to tranq him so that we can start winning these matches with him or it will only escalate further (ain't that the truth). Hoping that by doing this he will eventually come to realize I am not killing him when I have to do something to him, like clip his nails or fix a boo-boo

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Ohhhhhh Linda. I've never seen you defeated by anything but the installation of your mom's bathroom sink.

Rem sounds so much like Flynn. Sometimes I have to let Flynn think he's the boss while I arrogantly ignore his bossiness. Use a deep voice, a quiet voice. Wrangling him obviously is not going to work. Maybe it did with Mags and Ru, but you've got a whole 'nuther creature here. The old methods are not going to work on him.

I know you won't be deterred, but you're going to have to get the upper hand in a manner that is perhaps foreign to you.

I got Flynn under control (somewhat) with that quiet, commanding but not demanding voice and hand signals. Except for his jumping (improving) the hand signals are an absolute masterpirece for Flynn and me.

Seamus and Flynn

Nance, he is absolutely fine with everything I do to him at all times except when he thinks I'm going to try and restrain him, then he flips out. He's been like this since a tiny puppy. I shoulda realized it then.

I have used every method you can think of and then some. Believe me.

I am reluctant to resort to drugs, but I agree with my vet friend and will try this avenue for awhile and hope that as he matures he'll come to realize things need to be done to him and letting us get on with doing them makes it go faster for all of us

Clip his nails while he's out, too

Maverick is like this too. My dad "forced it" a couple of times- wrestled and wrangled him down and held him for the nails. I swear it made him ten times worse. Now I have a Maverick peanut butter jar that I have someone hold in front of him while I clip him. He shoves his whole head in the jar and licks away while I clip.

yankey Guest

I feel for you. I personally don't believe in druging dogs, nor children, for that matter. But I guess I never had a child or dog that was so misbehaved that they needed to be drugged. Good luck, hope it all works out.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I have never owned an animal like this before.
    I have. His name is Angus. :P

I feel for you. I don't know how I would get Angus' nails clipped if Kevin wasn't here. He certainly doesn't let you do anything willingly. I can either wrestle or clip, but not both.

Angus has gotten a bit better as he's gotten older. Maybe Remi will too.

I just wanted to say I know how it is. It took me, the vet tech and Kevin to keep Angus on the table the last time he was there. :

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

patm is offline Senior Member

While you have probably tried this, I'll throw it out there just in case it escaped you. Have you tried very briefly restraining him in a calm manner and then just treating him? Get him used to being restrained while nothing "bad" is going to happen to him. Gradually increase the time he is "restrained" before he is treated. Emilu is very suspicious of anything that she thinks you are going "to do" to her, but she just goes and hides in the corner and won't look at you. It's not really hard to medicate her, or whatever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast