Just wanted to let all you lab owners out there know that if you have walnut trees DONT let you lab play or eat with the ones that fall on the ground. They are poisonous. The shell that they are in are poisonous and I just heard about it.
Thanks, never thought about the shells.
<br /><br />
Never use black walnut shavings in bedding in a horse stall. Not good for their feet. We have some trees and I try to keep the dogs from chewing the fallen branches. They have never tried to chew the nuts before or after the outer shell. Makes one wonder why the squirrels and other rodents are not affected.
Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT
We have a large black walnut tree, and Corby sometimes chews on the nuts after the outer part comes off. I have read that the green outer part can be poisonous if it gets moldy (it's not poisonous by itself) and the hard inner part (when it's ripe) is OK. If anyone can find a link that shows it is poisonous, I'd like to be up-to-date on this topic!
It's not the shells, its the green husks. From the Purdue vet school web site: Horses are most often affected. When horses are bedded on wood shavings containing more than about 20% of black walnut shavings (which tend to be dark in color), clinical signs of laminitis (inflammation of the laminae in the hoof) can occur within 12 to 18 hours of contact, but 24 hours may elapse before signs manifest. Consumption of the shavings may cause signs of laminitis as well as mild colic. Affected horses become unwilling to move or have their feet picked up, are depressed, may exhibit limb edema and signs of laminitis. Difficulty in breathing (increased rate and depth) may be noted. Horses on pasture may show mild respiratory signs from pollen or fallen leaves. Poisoning in dogs is reported occasionally when the seed hulls are consumed, causing stomach upset and diarrhea (gastroenteritis).
We had seven walnut trees on the property when we moved in, all grafted English (subdivision used to be a walnut orchard, as was most of this city). The English slowly died out and the black took over. Now we are down to one. Blaze will occasionally get one and bring it in the house. I usually take it away becaus she is not supposed to chew on hard stuff, and as anyone who has tried to crack a black walnut knows, they are extremely difficult. I have seen squirrels give up.
Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart
We have a black walnut behind our fence, but it sometimes drops nuts into our yard. A couple of years ago I looked outside and Simon was pacing around, his mouth wide open, drooling. Scared the hell out of me. I ran outside and discovered he had a black walnut stuck between his back teeth close to wear his jaw opens. It was wedged in there so he couldn't open his mouth any further to drop it, and couldn't shut his mouth either. :'( Yet another reason to never leave them in the backyard alone...
Connie and "The Boys":
Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD
Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever