Multiple Dogs?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiple Dogs?

Chedda is offline Member

DefaultMultiple Dogs?

Just curious to get some peoples opinions here as you all have had labs longer than me

I have a 9 month old lab. He is well trained and very well mannered both with people/other dogs/cats/etc. I have 3 girls taht play with him quite a bit and I also spend a fair amount of time with him and so does my wife. However, sometimes it just seems to me that he is lonely, even tho he gets alot of attention all the time. (My 3 year old rarely leaves his side) I guess what I am wondering is do labs do better with another dog in the house? I know that it requires more time/attention to the dogs, but then again, does it help for them to have another animal to amuse them and interact with when we aren't home? I know that it is a huge decision to make as it adds yet even more responsibility on my entire family so it is not a decision I will make lightly or just jump into blindly.

We have enough space to accommodate another lab, I make enough money to support another lab.

I guess my biggest question is as I stated earlier, do they do better with another animal there? If it really doesnt make that much of a difference, I would of course just leave it at one dog, as I know he gets plenty of love/attention now. He just looks bummed alot of the time, and I just want what is best for him as does the rest of my family.

Please post how you feel about multiple dog homes and what I should expect. Pros and Cons are BOTH appreciated greatly. I wanna know the bad stuff as well as the good stuff.
    <br />Life with Cheddar is a whole lot better!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Multiple Dogs?

Such a subjective question.

Some homes do better with only one dog.
    Some homes do better with two dogs of the same breed.
    Some homes (such as mine) do better with seven dogs of multiple breeds and an occasional cat!

It all depends on the very personal nature of the family, I think.

Seamus and Flynn

labby is offline Senior Member

What Nance said. I couldn't ever see myself with just one.

Can you "borrow" someone's Lab for a day or two and see how your 9 month old does with another dog in the house? Also to see how you do with another dog in the house.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am watching this post with great interest. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I want another dog as well for the very same reason as you - although Cooper gets lots of attention, I feel he is lonely. I am sort of agonizing over this - things are perfect around here with just one dog. I can come and go and not worry that he is going to get into things he shouldn't. He knows his boundaries and is really well-behaved. If we get another Lab (or any dog, for that matter), it'll be a whole new ballgame. The other thing I question is - have we waited too long to get another? Cooper is 5 and introducing another dog into the house will likely put his nose out of joint big time. Perhaps if we had brought in another dog earlier in Cooper's life, the transition would have been easier? Who knows.

Looking forward to everyone's comments on this.

Bev.
    <br /><br />&quot;Maintiens Le Droit&quot;

Chedda is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    What Nance said. I couldn't ever see myself with just one.

Can you "borrow" someone's Lab for a day or two and see how your 9 month old does with another dog in the house? Also to see how you do with another dog in the house.
    That is an excellent idea. A friend of mine has his 8 month old lab I can borrow for a few days. I may have to try that. Much better than buying another lab and finding out Cheddar absolutely abhors another dog.
    <br />Life with Cheddar is a whole lot better!

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Can I borrow Jake for a few years days?!!!

Bev.
    <br /><br />&quot;Maintiens Le Droit&quot;

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

When we went through this question many yrs ago we rang and had a long chat with our breeder- she is a lovely woman and would not under any circumstance tried to fobb us off with another dog just to make money out of us.

One of the things that she said that i remember most vividly is imagine if you were the only human being in a house with no-one else of the same species to interact with...how would you feel?

Dogs in my opinion, are happier amongst their own kind, despite the love and affection i heap on my two, it's each other they curl up with contentedly with in their bed at night

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

TwoLabs is offline Member

I have always found my dogs happier with another of their species to play with. Each time I brought a second dog into the house they immediately bonded and would sleep cuddled together.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Our first lab was an "only" lab. I think she had a great life. Our grandkids would come to visit & play with her alot. But when she passed it was me who said I would never have just one. It wasn't because I think you can ever replace ones who passed but I was heart broken & I did not want any empty house again.
    We got Molly & then we got Abby when Molly was 3 years old.

We did have to make some changes, Molly had free run of the house & Abby needed to be crated...till she was 15 1/2 months old. We have never had any problems with them, they are good friends. No aggression, no problems with dominance. I guess we are lucky.

But I think you have to decide what is best for you & your family & your lab. Labs are just so happy to be with their people. Some people & dogs do well having just one. I think it really is a personal choice. No right or wrong.

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

I believe Ellie is much happier as an only dog. We foster for our local lab rescue. As much as we enjoy doing it, EVERYONE in the house (including Ellie) breathes a sigh of relief when our fosters move on to their forever homes. We always try to give Ellie a little break after each foster.

I think some dogs are better off with companions, but not all. Ellie doesn't play with our fosters, she doesn't sleep with them, she doesn't hang out with them in the yard. When we go to the dog park, she occasionally will have a game of chase with a smaller dog, but not often.

Does your dog enjoy the company of other dogs? You should arrange some playdates for him or consider taking him to a dog park. See how he interacts with other dogs. If he is like Ellie, you can generally tell right away if he would do well with a permanent companion.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast