appetite and teething
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: appetite and teething

Defaultappetite and teething

Good morning,

Custer is just over four months old. The day before yesterday he didn't finish his dinner - which is not normal, but he ate over three quarters of it so we didn't fret. Yesterday morning he was totally disinterested in his breakfast - maybe ate a handful of kibble at best (Innova LBP). As usual we left him with a Kong filled with kibble, capped off with peanut butter that had been frozen. Got home from work - the PB had not really been touched. That was the thing that really made me think. Dinner last night - same story - not interested. His behavior has been normal - full of energy. He has been eliminating regularily - though last night and this morning they were rather small - I am sure because he is running on empty. He is urinating and drinking normally. We thought it may be because he is teething - I think some spaces in his mouth are starting to fill in - the gums around his teeth are a little more red. Thinking this was the case, we soaked his kibble in water so it was soft and he ate maybe half of it after it was all mushy - but only out of my hand.

I called the vet yesterday (Friday) because I didn't want him to go the whole weekend not eating and we have an appointment for this morning at 9:40. I am just hoping that some of you can relieve my fears that this is more than just change in appetite due to teething - do dogs lose their appetite at this point?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Deb

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: appetite and teething

I can't give you any advice Deb as i really don't know, it has been a long time since my 2 were babies but i don't recall them going off their food.- good luck at the vets and keep us updated

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Thanks Kate2jays. He didn't eat breakfast this morning either. I worry he ate something he shouldn't have, but he hasn't vomited at all. We also never have him out of our sight for more than a few seconds at a time, so I doubt that it could be something he swallowed.

Anyone else?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackjack is offline Senior Member

BJ did something similar for a couple days at about the same age and teeth were the only explanation I could come up with. He was also a little less hyper so I knew something was up. I always soak his kibble so that didn't make a difference for him either.

Hope your vet visit goes well.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Hope all goes well at the vet. Maybe he doesn't like the taste of the kibble any more. But you said he wasn't even touching the peanut butter. I don't have any real good ideas. I just know that if something is off, and teething could be the answer...it's time to check with the vet. Good Luck.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

I don't know how to update the first post yet, so here goes...

My appointment was actually for 1:50 but the vet called last night and left a message saying that 9:40 was open. I called at 8:30 and learned that it was already taken (I shouldn't have assumed!) but I did talk to the vet and told her all the details. Rather than take Custer in today because his behavior is normal, I am going to make him venison and rice with a couple of eggs and see if he will eat that. I am just waiting on the rice now. I am to offer him both the kibble and the rice/venison and eventually mix them together to encourage him to eat the kibble again. If there is no change by Monday I am to call. The PB thing still has me confused, except maybe that for him to get the peanut butter out he has to hold the kong (really it is not a kong - similar toy with very hard rubber) with his teeth and that hurts too much? We'll see if the homemade meal does the trick...

Could be he doesn't like the kibble anymore I suppose- we have him on Innova LBP - have for over a month now (switched from Purina Puppy that the breeder gave him) and every other stool is a bit loose for our taste - he has usually two BM's on our walks - the first is firm and the second is loose - so we were thinking of going to California Natural. This may be a good reason once he regains his appetitie.

On a side note...I don't know how to do an update and make it go back up to the top either.

[quote=custerpup ]
    I am to offer him both the kibble and the rice/venison and eventually mix them together to encourage him to eat the kibble again. If there is no change by Monday I am to call. The PB thing still has me confused, except maybe that for him to get the peanut butter out he has to hold the kong (really it is not a kong - similar toy with very hard rubber) with his teeth and that hurts too much? We'll see if the homemade meal does the trick...
    /quote]

It will be interesting to see if the homemade meal does the trick. And if his mouth is hurting, the hard rubber toy could change his mind about peanut butter. Good Luck.

penzpurlz- glad I'm not the only one!

Custer just polished off his rice and venison. I am so relieved that he got something in his belly. He hestitated at first - but after a couple tentative tastes, he was in like flynn. I will have to see how the rest of the weekend goes. I am fraid that boy is getting spoiled! I even let him sit on my LAP on the RECLINER this morning (don't tell DH!)

Try putting a rolled up wet face cloth in the freezer for at least a 1/2 hour. If it is his teeth he should love to chew on it. The cold should feel good on his teeth if he is teething.

Glad he ate his venison and rice. Hope Custer is back to his usual self soon.

Glad he ate the venison and rice. And when they are hurting....it's real easy to spoil them. Hope the rest of the weekend goes well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast