Anybody have any idea what this is?

Thread: Anybody have any idea what this is?

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnybody have any idea what this is?

Guinness is missing some hair on his face. It was a little bump...not red or anything, and I rubbed it and all the hair fell off! It doesn't seem to bother him but then I noticed another similar spot on his front leg. He also has what looks like an infected whisker...not too red but a bit puffy and he doesn't really like me to rub that....any ideas?

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anybody have any idea what this is?

Sounds like it could be demodetic mange. It's not the contagious kind. Do a web search on it.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would take him to a vet, there are two kinds of mange, demodectic and sarcoptic.

A vet can tell with a simple skin scraping which kind it is, if it's mange at all.

(localized demodex usually presents on the face and legs first)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tally had something very similar. Check out her right eye in the corner. It started out small...

Then got bigger...

Took this a couple of days ago

Turned out to be a histiocytoma. A bening turmor that appears on the front half of their body. It took 3 months for it to go away. We had a biopsy done to make sure as it got bigger before it receded. Now she looks fine except for a slight dicoloration. The hair is coming back. Sure had us worried though.
    Pat

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I would take him to a vet, there are two kinds of mange, demodectic and sarcoptic.

A vet can tell with a simple skin scraping which kind it is, if it's mange at all.

(localized demodex usually presents on the face and legs first)
    I agree check with the vet. Duke had what looked similar a couple of years ago and it was demodectic type mange.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Thanks for the replies...off to the vet on Monday. Hopefully not a big deal! After the muskrat eating/bite incident in the summer, the neuter etc., I'm up for a break in vet bills for a while :-\

DefaultRe: Anybody have any idea what this is? (update)

Well it looks like Guinness has demodectic mange. Apparently nothing serious, and no treatment required as he only has 3 very small spots right now. Vet did a skin scraping and came to this conclusion. She likened it to a teenager with zits ;D and said it usually presents when the dogs become teens...who would have thought at 10 mos. I had a teen on my hands? We have to go back in a week for a recheck but we are taking a wait and see approach. Anyone had any experience with this and know what I should watch out for?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

That's good. localized demodectic mange is usually really easy to treat and most cases goes away on it's own.

My Peanut had generalized demodectic mange, and that was hellish. Treatment for over a year, skin biopsy, the whole shebang.

Consider yourself lucky!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

DefaultRe: Anybody have any idea what this is? (update)

Back from our vacation..Dakota has the same thing..I wrote to the list about it a while back. It is around his right eye..when the vet did a scraping..she couldn't get close enough to the area, it was on his eyelid, now it's a bit below his eye..sort of where a tear would fall if dogs cried. He's 9 1/2 months old..and has had it since he was about 6 months. He may have gotten it from dog school..anyway..no mange showed up in the scraping..but it's the logical conclusion. We're waiting it out at the moment.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by guinnysmom
    Well it looks like Guinness has demodectic mange. Apparently nothing serious, and no treatment required as he only has 3 very small spots right now. Vet did a skin scraping and came to this conclusion. She likened it to a teenager with zits ;D and said it usually presents when the dogs become teens...who would have thought at 10 mos. I had a teen on my hands? We have to go back in a week for a recheck but we are taking a wait and see approach. Anyone had any experience with this and know what I should watch out for?

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Mambo has had this as well. Actually a few times.