For those of you that adopted...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you that adopted...

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultFor those of you that adopted...

How did you know your pup was....your pup?

Though Dani had a few others I wanted as well in her rescue (one in particular that had cherry eye and another called Dawson) they were all adopted quickly. I had seen Rocky go by and when he returned to the rescue I started asking questions (and trust me - I asked MANY MANY MANY questions). He seemed like a great fit (male chocolate, good for my lifestyle being that i live in an apt)...and taht was that!

I can't even say I fell in love with his picture, to be honest his yellow eyes freaked me out abit but I fell for the way Dani described him. After all the talking it seemed right, so i took the plunge

I am now completely and totally in love with him. I loved him as soon as I met him but it's deepened and is now a solid bond, not just "I love you cuz you are a cute lab".
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: For those of you that adopted...

Aw, what a sweet story!

I think you always do know.

Kevin picked Angus, actually. I didn't think so. I thought he was too small, too young. I was totally humoring Kevin. Of course, I love him SO dearly now. But it was really Kevin who had always wanted the yellow Lab. Since Crash was my heart and soul dog, I thought I should let Kevin pick this one. And I remind him of that every time Angus does anything wrong.

Simon, he's my boy. I hand-picked him from dozens of other dogs at the shelter that weekend. He was the last one I went in to visit. He really didn't look like anything special, just to walk by. I was kind of losing hope that I would find anyone on that visit. Oh, but then I went into his kennel with him, and he came over to me so gently and pressed his head into my stomach, softly wagging his tail. That was it - I was smitten. :-*

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

kaytris is offline Senior Member

With Sophie, this was pretty much it:

(her first day 'fostering' with me.. although I didn't give an official okay for a week or so...)

With Kaylie, I was torn between her and a lovely young boxer.. when I returned her to the AC kennel run, she turned and wrapped her paw around my leg, attempting to keep me from leaving her...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

All of the puppies that were available when I stopped by the breeder were let out and I just laid on the ground and let them all crawl over me. Licking, biting & jumping on me....eventually most of them got bored and ran back to mom except 1 that stayed by me the entire time I was there. So I chose her, or should rather say she chose me.

I wanted one that liked me, was very hyperactive and she was definitely it!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

My pup is still a pup.

I didn't know he was the one. He was part of Kassa and I didn't want to loose that link or see him go to a home that would abuse him.

Today I know I made the best decision ever and am totally besotted with my wild boy.

Ernie and his boy

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I got Tal from a breeder and when I went to pick him out he was the only one who just lay, belly up, in my arms and was totally relaxed. I knew then...and I think he actually picked me too.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Greats stories - I should have just asked how everyone picked their dog (rescue or puppy from a litter!)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I just realised this and came back to say I stuffed up.
    With Kassa it was a choice of 2.- not that she was adopted. She came over to us and I liked the white spot on her chest.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Greats stories - I should have just asked how everyone picked their dog (rescue or puppy from a litter!)
    What u asked made sense...technically any way u received your puppy is a form of adoption!

We knew we needed another dog for ourselves and for Fanny, she was a couch potato waiting for her Mommy to come home every day, he needed a play mate. So off we went to the ASPCS and we saw a lot of litbull mixes (not for us), group adoptees and mixes that just didn't do anything for us. So I suggested the Humane society.

NO, said Pat, Yes said me and MIL.

There were some really nice dogs there including a pair of chocolate lab puppies there. I thought about taking one of them but thought that they needed to be together so we bypassed them. We walked down both sides of the cages and Eddie was in the last one. I had passed by him but Pat saw him and said what about this one. He was sitting there, a ball of wagging tail, panting with his tongue hanging out (nothing has changed there) willing us to say hello and to take him home. We got him out of his cage and he sat beside me, with me sitting on the floor, and covered me with kisses. He jumped up on Pat and the handler, panting and begging with his eyes take me home. He settled down beside me and Pat sat beside me and Eddie licked us to death! He was ours

Eddie has had his issues and still is working through them but he has found his forever home, knows and loves it. The changes we see in him everyday bring us such joy. We cannot imagine life without him.

Fanny took a year before she okay-ed his living with us and then it was total adoration. They fight with each other, play with each other and eat next to each other. They are buddies.

Fanny is my heart dog but Eddie? He is my heart dog too................

I often wonder what his previous owner is doing and feeling today. Does she miss him? I'll never know..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast