Baloo's vet visit. Good and not-so-good news.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baloo's vet visit. Good and not-so-good news.....

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultBaloo's vet visit. Good and not-so-good news.....

I took Baloo to the vet today for a few different reasons. I wanted to talk about our recent switch to Orijen and get her thoughts (I usually don't do anything without consulting her first.....  :-[) I also noticed Baloo looked to be missing a few teeth, and he has a mild ear infection.

So, we got meds (drops) for the ears, that ones easy. 

Vet says he's missing his 3rd premolars, on both sides of his upper jaw. She says that we'll give them another month to show themselves, and go from there. I think if they don't come down then we have to do xrays and the like. I don't want them stuck up in there.  :-\

Ed (Endofile) can you point me to Hershey's dental thread? I never did get around to reading it, now I think probably I should.  :P

A little better news:

I had her manipulate/check his joints (hips, elbows, shoulders) and she said that they seemed fine. No friction, no popping, no nothing. 

I know that that's far from a guarantee of perfect joints, but it will help me to maybe not worry so much. At least for a little while. 

The jury's out on Orijen, she said that she's going to look into it for me, and I know she will (she was wondering whether or not it went through feeding trials or not.... I didn't know). One of the things I love about her is that she goes above and beyond just that visit in the office. She regularly calls me with different studies/websites/info that she gets from conferences that she thinks I might be interested in. It's great!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Baloo's vet visit. Good and not-so-good news.....

Sounds like an all around good visit. Glad you can get his ears cleared up quickly. The change in food might help that as well. How much did Baloo weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Sounds like an all around good visit. Glad you can get his ears cleared up quickly. The change in food might help that as well. How much did Baloo weigh?
    51.8 lbs.

He's no Remington.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    The jury's out on Orijen, she said that she's going to look into it for me, and I know she will (she was wondering whether or not it went through feeding trials or not.... I didn't know).
    I was wondering the same thing. I haven't asked my Vet about Orijen yet. He really likes Royal Canin and I gather RC have done a lot of testing, but I want to try something grain free.

Hope Baloo's toothies come in.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Well glad it went ok...Baloo is a handsome fellow!

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Missing teeth, is Labs is not abnormal. I don't know how much I would attribute to needing any dental work done. I have 4 Labs and two do not have full dentition. I have know Labs missing up to 6-7 teeth.

On Orijen and foods of the like I can tell you I have done lots of talking with food companies over the past couple months and even a few of the companies putting out grain-free, high protein type foods have self admitted to not doing research, there not being enough if much of any research, done on these types of diets. They have no scientific facts to base their formula's on - and that went for those manufacturing raw diets as well. That to me was pretty scary.

But what each and every one of them has told me is that anything over the mid 30% mark in protein is pretty much useless because the average house pet does not utilize it all and it is just waste.
    Kim

Thanks Kim, that makes me feel better about the missing teef.

I'm not worried if he's truly missing them. What worries me is if they're up there and not coming down. Ever since reading about Chris' Kassa, I don't want teeth stuck up there, kwim? :-\

I'm definitely going to look deeper into Orijen's research and such. I'm getting very frustrated with what to feed them. Every time I think I've found the answer, something comes up that makes me go, "yah... but..." : *sigh*

I trust my vet. She's the ace up my sleeve, I'm gonna with-hold judgement until I hear from her.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I trust my vet. She's the ace up my sleeve, I'm gonna with-hold judgement until I hear from her.
    Just remember, a vet does not hold a degree in nutrition. My own vet is not very willing to give food or nutrition advice.
    Kim

Is there a degree available in animal (canine) nutrition? If so, where would I find these people?

She may not be a nutritionist, but she has taken a keen interest in aspects of it, and explained that she angled her degree accordingly. She has also worked/studied in the meat bacteria field, and so knows tonnes and tonnes about qualities of meat, what's appropriate and whats not, how it is processed by numerous species.

All I know is that she knows way more than I know.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Sounds like an, overall, good visit.

Keep me posted on ANY info/feedback she gives you on Orijen.

I had my vet do that same manipulation of the hind legs to see if there were any issues with movement (fear of HD/ED). Like you said, it's not OFA test but good to know things seem good to the vet
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast