Deramaxx - Death of a friends dog :( - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deramaxx - Death of a friends dog :(

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Deramaxx - Death of a friends dog :(

Oh my God that's awful. How sad. Thank you for alerting us all to this. But, what is an alternative to this med, should our dogs need surgery? This is very scary. I feel so bad for your friend. It's not that different with people.......regarding meds, I mean. Some just have a really bad reaction or are so sensitive to them. Not saying this is what happened to your friend's dog, not at all. But it just reinforces my feelings about (most) medications and why I am reluctant to take ANYTHING if I absolutely do not have to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bebopalula
    But it just reinforces my feelings about (most) medications and why I am reluctant to take ANYTHING if I absolutely do not have to.
    Amen to that. My doctor knows (and the vet knows too, actually) that they are going to have do an awful lot of convincing to get me (or my dogs) to take anything. :-\

They gave Angus something after his surgery because I didn't want Rimadyl...what was it? It was something-dol. I remember that it seemed the equivalent of Toradol for humans. It had been around for years upon years. That's what I'm looking for. Something VERY old school, that's been out there long enough that there have been plenty of guinea pigs other than me or the boys.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

OMG! How sad, I am so sorry for your friend.

It is so very hard to know what is right and what is going to work for our furbabies. I have been in that position and still, 5 years on, still question my decision.

My prayers go out to your friend tonight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

Oh man, that is so sad. I feel like I have heard that about Deramaxx before.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Oh, Brenda! So sorry for your friend. The baby will be a blessing to them right now!

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Absolutely, Stace -

On a side note - my sister's boy is on Rimadyl for joint pain in his back legs. She only gives it to him on an as-needed basis, for a week at a time. He's got Lyme Disease and has terrible bouts of pain that can sometimes last up to a week. She has his blood looked at at least once a month, because she too, hates to give that to him in fear of liver and kidney damage. I think the key is to monitor its use, and have the dog checked regularly.
    Brenda from Connecticut

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

The med AngusFangus (above) is thinking of is Tramadiol or Tramadol.
    I had a bottle of about 120 for myself. Shortly after I got home with them, I was told they conflicted with something else I take. They remained in the cabinet, unused.
    When Buddy had his root canals and dental work, they sent me home with about 10 of them and charged me some insane price like $80. it wasn't my regular vet it was a special dental hospital down in Miami area somewhere. I recognized the name and had them removed from the bill. Gave them back and left.
    3 of my vets (the regular one, the ortho and the therapist) all told me it's the human pill - and like a lot of other things, price quadruples cause it's for a dog.
    I was elated to find out I had 120 of them!!! At roughly $8/pill, I contemplated selling them on a street corner, black market. (J/k). Anyway, I am happy to report, it is the ONLY pain med Buddy has had with all that his leg has been through since Labor Day. He does very well on it. No side effects, etc. It's what I give him when he has a bad day with his back pain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12