BIL Promised My Niece a Puppy *fumes*

Thread: BIL Promised My Niece a Puppy *fumes*

imported_Matsuro is offline Senior Member

DefaultBIL Promised My Niece a Puppy *fumes*

I can't believe he did such a thing when he refused when he was asked just in June. Now he promised her a puppy if she does well in school. Why do dumb people do this? (I can't really type what I really want to said, scared I would get kicked off of here) > I mean they not even edcuated in proper dog care, they think hitting the dog is okay!!!! They also (my sister) would want the dog washed every freaking week! Which *I* know can damage the coat but she doesn't care. How can they go from getting her a fish to a puppy? I *thought* you were suppose to get a hamster after a fish and build up from there?

My niece is 6/7 and my newphew is 2/3. I'm trying to convince my niece (because they said they she can pick it out herself) to get an older dog, but no she wants a "girl dog so it can have puppies".

Is there any shelter that would allow me to set up a day to bring them in and show them the truth behind dogs who come from so-called breeders and from pet stores? My sister's family thinking going to a RB and paying $600-1800+ is crazy and not worth it, so I think they will try a BYB and I NEED NEED a way to convince them NOT TO DO IT!!

They know how passionate I am about animals and I wish they would of listened to me when I tried to tell them about the horrors of byb animals and pet store puppies/animals.

I want the dog trained (my sister said last night "most dogs aren't trained" when I made the comment "I know you won't want to train the dog yourself or take it to a training class" >

Please help me out, I just don't understand some people's thinking anymore!
    -Dogless

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: BIL Promised My Niece a Puppy *fumes*

Sounds like your BIL and sister are beyond educating but there may be hope for your niece. Please do take her on a tour of your nearest shelter. I'll bet she comes away from that visit with a different attitude, especially if she understands that most of the dogs she sees will be euthanized.
    Perhaps you could also take your niece to a training class where she could she how much fun it is to train a dog to obey simple commands.
    Good luck.
    <br />Duke and Freckles

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad
    Sounds like your BIL and sister are beyond educating but there may be hope for your niece. Please do take her on a tour of your nearest shelter. I'll bet she comes away from that visit with a different attitude, especially if she understands that most of the dogs she sees will be euthanized.
    Perhaps you could also take your niece to a training class where she could she how much fun it is to train a dog to obey simple commands.
    Good luck.
    I second that! And as for most dogs being untrained, I'd bet that is true. But, um, excuse me, it is not the dogs fault. It is the stupid OWNERS fault for not properly caring for their pet. I would never dream of getting a dog and not training them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Ask them to think for 10 minutes about the road ahead.

BYB = Sketchy genetics at best = higher predilection for health issues. Do they have the financial wherewithal to pay vet bill after vet bill after vet bill? And godforbid something turns morbidly wrong.... Are they ready to go through the grief process w/their 6 y.o.?

Untrained dog = higher chance of behavioral problems = increased possibilty of surrender. Again, do they want to face that 6 y.o. face and tell her that "Skippy" is now living on a "big farm because she's really, really happier there?"

Hitting dog = aggression = increase possibility of biting. Hope their home owners' insurance is up-to-date.

Bathing = skin problems = Trips to the vet again. Is that checkbook handy, dear?

Irresponsible breeding = adding insult to injury. Again expense and responsibility for pups. More possible heartbreak for the 6 y.o. if things go wrong in delivery (and it's not unheard of for things to go wrong -- horridly wrong -- in delivery).

I would grab this family by the scruff of the neck and FORCE them to volunteer just one afternoon -- four short hours -- in a shelter and see the result of the exact behavior they want to get involved with.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Your BIL is an a$$. :-\

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Can't your BIL get your niece a dollhouse or something if she gets good grades? Can you knock some sense into this guy that a puppy is A LIVING BREATHING BEING and NOT a toy??? Bringing a puppy into your home/family should be because you are ALL ready to make that commitment, NOT because you get good grades. Sounds to me like they really have not thought this through at all. And who will suffer the most if they go through with it..........Hmmmm. PLEASE talk them out of it. The part about them thinking it's okay to hit a dog reallllly disturbs me, as does the idea of them letting the dog have puppies. Arrrrrrgggghhhh. I can't stand the ignorance of some people.

tricialeigh4jc is offline Senior Member

Well - if they are insistent on getting a puppy - how about taking your niece to a shelter where there are puppies available? I'll bet she falls in love with one of the sweet balls of fluff right then and there. At least that way, she would get a dog that is spayed/neutered (not a 'female so it can have babies'), she won't be supporting pet-stores/puppy mills/back yard breeders, and she will get to experience a shelter. Also, a lot of shelters will help educate the family, and some even require puppy-training classes for all adopted dogs.

I know the best option would be for this family to not have a dog until they properly understood dog care, but if they are hell-bent on getting one, at least they could rescue one?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Maybe you need to take control of the situation. You probably can't stop them from buying an animal, but maybe you can take on the training in practice for when you gat your own. Who knows, when reality sets in with your BILs family, you may end up with this dog as your own anyway.

Okay! Okay! Partly tongue in cheek, but it is obvious that you care about animals, and that your family is not fully committed to what they are likely to embark on.

I never plan to have more than one dog, neither does my son. But we both know that if or dogs survive either family, the surviviing family will have two dogs.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

imported_Matsuro is offline Senior Member

Thank you for your advice everyone, I will try what was suggested. Hopefully it will work. My niece is a type of girl who believes everything she hears and when I try to tell her the truth she doesn't want to listen thinking that "you are never right, you are ALWAYS wrong!!" blah blah type stuff, these kids are spoiled and have no really manners, I hate talking about family like this, but its true and the truth is kind of disappointing.
    -Dogless