Angus threw up 1 hr after Heartgard UPDATE/VET
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angus threw up 1 hr after Heartgard UPDATE/VET

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAngus threw up 1 hr after Heartgard UPDATE/VET

Just talked to the vet. Asked what they thought I should do, and she said definitely re-dose. I asked if I should wait a few days, if it was dangerous to double-dose. She said, "Oh God no. We get calls all the time about dogs who ate a whole box. We just tell them that was a very expensive treat It's just a de-wormer, so you really almost can't overdo it. But you can definitely under-do it, and it's not worth the risk."

I think I may still wait till this weekend. We will still be relatively on schedule if I do that. Thoughts?

Oh, and they won't just sell me one pill.

:-\

We started his new heartworm meds tonight. After much deliberation, I decided to keep Simon on Interceptor and switch Angus to Heartgard, as it has a low dose of medication. In the interest of reducing the chemicals going in, all that jazz.

Anyway. I drove like a bat out of hell to make it to the vet's before they closed so I could pick it up. I also decided to put them both on a 40 day program with heartworm, so I spent almost half an hour counting and double-checking dates and writing them on packets and calendars so I wouldn't forget.

I have six pills of each for them. It would take us through to next March.

So I give Angus his Heartgard, Simon his Interceptor, and all is well. Or so I thought.

I have also started giving Simon honey, in hopes of helping with seasonal allergies he seems to have. I decided, after the WDJ article the other day, that it couldn't hurt to give it to Angus too.

Oh yes, but it appears that it can. :-\

Angus threw up right after I gave him some honey last week. I suspected *maybe* it had been the honey, as it happened right afterwards. But why would honey make him throw up? ??? I decided I was reading too much into it, and continued to give him honey. Without incident, until tonight.

An hour after his heartworm med I was giving them their honey, and Angus ralphed within a minute. :

So, no more honey for Angus. :-[

But, here's the question: What about the Heartgard? These were the tablets, and I gave it to him like a pill. I went through a VERY LARGE pile of vomit, and found no tablet. :-X But I am fairly certain the entire contents of his stomach came up.

Would the pill have dissolved and been absorbed that quickly? There was a white substance intermingled with the vomit that looked like it could have possibly been a pill that had dissolved. But how would I know? It could have also been digestive enzyme powder, or colostrum (also a powder).

???

I'm going to call the vet in the morning. Just wanted to see what you all thought. Ever had this happen? Did you give another dose, or wait a few days, or what?

Now I'm going to be one pill off, unless the vet will give me just one pill.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Angus threw up 1 hr after Heartgard

I've never had this happen, but have always wondered what to do if it did. Sorry I'm no help. Keep us posted on what your vet says!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Ask the vet before you give him anymore. Heartgaurd is a poison, so you want to make sure yo don't overdose him. I would tend to not give another dose, and do my best to keep him away from mosquitoes for this period. Right! I know, easier said than done.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Ask the vet before you give him anymore. Heartgaurd is a poison, so you want to make sure yo don't overdose him. I would tend to not give another dose, and do my best to keep him away from mosquitoes for this period. Right! I know, easier said than done.
    Yes, it is easier said than done The mosquitos are just cranking up down here. We had a really bad drought throughout August, and I think that cut down on our numbers, but we've had a few days of rain and I'm starting to get bitten again. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Where are you? Sounds like Mpls. Very dry summer, no rain, no mosquitoes. Two weeks ago we started getting a lot of rain and the first hatch has been massive. I wasn't going to give HK a mid Sept dose of Heartgaurd, duh! Changed my mind. First freeze can't come soon enough to kill those pests off for the winter.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I'm in TN.

This is all really upsetting me. I bet the vet is going to tell me to re-dose. The Heartgard product insert says if a dose could possibly be lost, to re-dose immediately. I'm just not sure I trust it enough to do that. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Theo didn't tolerate Heartgard--he got bad diarrhea. That's why he's on Interceptor.

I really doubt that a skipped month is going to hurt him. Don't worry.

I just had an idea:

What if I waited a week and gave Angus an Interceptor?

Interceptor is a different drug, so perhaps there would not be as much danger of overdosing.

We are probably about five weeks past his last dose of Interceptor as of tonight. So if I wait a week, we should still be close to the 45 day max between doses.

Thoughts?

I think if re-dosing is recommended, this is what I might do...

Connie and "The Boys":

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    Theo didn't tolerate Heartgard--he got bad diarrhea. That's why he's on Interceptor.

I really doubt that a skipped month is going to hurt him. Don't worry.
    Thanks Nathan. You make me feel better.

I would really like to just skip and pick it up next month if possible.

Connie and "The Boys":

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Connie, check with the vet.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast