Water Test

Thread: Water Test

DefaultWater Test

Nala and I have started doing alot of walking through woods and fields and we often come up on ponds rivers and lakes. I can never tell if these are safe for her and even though she deperately wants to get in I keep her out. I remember a kit that I used to have for my fish tank that told me if the water was good for them. I was wondering if there was a water testing kit I could get to test the water around the places that we usually walk. It would make the walks much more fun for her if she was able to get in and cool off. So does anyone know of anything that I can buy to test the water.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Water Test

Puff and I walk every morning (6 years) in a nature preserve that has ponds, marshes, sloughs, etc., where she's inclined to wade and drink.

So in one of my Cabela's Safari Vest pockets I tuck a water bottle (clean Gator-Ade bottle) and a collapsible cloth water dish; we stop just before passing the most likely places for her to wade in and drink and I give her water. When we retrurn, we again stop just before temptation and re-hydrate the pooch.

Works for us.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Does she not wade in or are you saying this keeps her from drinking the water?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The concern would be DRINKING the water, it doesn't really matter if they go in. But then again, there are certain rules you need to consider. We have a pond and stream that feeds it by our home. If it doesn't rain alot, it gets green and thick, and then the dogs are NOT allowed in. But when the water is clean on top and running clean in the stream, I let them get wet.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I take Hershey Kisses on a walk through the executive wetland (commonly known as a swamp) behind our house. Once she found the water, she loved running off and splashing in it. That is when I started noticing a rash developong on her tummy. I washed it daily and applied some Animax. That seemed to clear it up, but a few days later it would be back. I treated it simiilarly and started keeping her out of the water. It hasn't been back until last week when she got away from me and got in the swamp water. I don't know if it is allergy, or some kind of bacteria in there, but she isn't going to be allowed in the swamp water again. My neighbors would be upset if they knew I was calling it a swamp.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

labbie2 is offline Senior Member

I have to check our neighborhood ponds for ALLIGATORS!! There is no swimming allowed for my two labbies... just too dangerous for the beasts are waiting to strike I know!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Does she not wade in or are you saying this keeps her from drinking the water?
    Hydrating Puff just before we get to those wet places greatly diminishes her wading and any drinking of the water
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748