Lab riding in a truck or bed of a truck
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lab riding in a truck or bed of a truck

DefaultLab riding in a truck or bed of a truck

My lab is nine months now and I was wondering at what age do they settle down in the car/truck. I have been using a dog seat belt for the last few months but was wondering when my dog will settle down and not want to roam around the truck.

Also, for people who have trucks, how did you teach your lab to feel comfortable enough to ride in the bed of a truck?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Lab riding in a truck or bed of a truck

You will probably not get good answers here for the bed of the truck question. The only way to securely transport a dog in the bed is in a crate.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexLabs
    You will probably not get good answers here for the bed of the truck question. The only way to securely transport a dog in the bed is in a crate.
    Indeed. No matter how well trained you think he/she is, letting them ride in the bed of a truck uncrated is NEVER safe. :-\

You should continue using the seatbelt, primarily for safety reasons, for both you and the dog.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would never let my dog ride in the bed of a truck. We bought an extended cab truck so our labs can ride in the back seat. I have seen people have their dog in a crate that was secured in the bed of their truck. Personally, I would NOT do that, but that's JMHO.

BudGirl8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster
    Also, for people who have trucks, how did you teach your lab to feel comfortable enough to ride in the bed of a truck?
    You won't get many (if any) favorable responses to that question. I would recommend buying a Vari-Kennel crate and bungee cords. Strap it into the bed and VOILA! a riding spot for your pup. Easypeasy.

As for the riding in the vehicle, mine rides in the back of my Tahoe. When we're in town she is up and moving around, looking up, whining a bit, pacing, etc. She wants to know what is going on all the time. I don't mind that so much. There's lots to look at. Once we're at it a while, she settles down. She's 3 this week.

On the highway, she goes to sleep. I guess it's boring.

k8show is offline Senior Member

OMG!!! Get a crate or keep using the seat belt in the cab!!!!
    Katie and Boo

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

As well trained as Mick was, he was always seatbelted or crated in a vehicle. Why? Just in case we had an accident. If the doors popped open, he could have been thrown from the vehicle (or through a window). Same with Caleb, he's never loose in a vehicle. There are times that he has to ride in the back of my truck (I have a Ranger with a standard cab). The truck has a cap, and I have a crate that I secure in the back for those times.

Back in about 1980 when I had my first Lab, somebody thought the old 53 Dodge Pick-up was crowded with me, him and Rascal in it and wondered if someone should ride in the box. Said go ahead, but since it's about zero out you might get cold. ;D

Please DO NOT do that. My brother has a 3 legged lab due to one jumping out of the truck. Yeh, we are opposites on lab raising, but please...don't take a chance like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexLabs
    Indeed. No matter how well trained you think he/she is, letting them ride in the bed of a truck uncrated is NEVER safe. :-\

You should continue using the seatbelt, primarily for safety reasons, for both you and the dog.
    STORY:
    Some friends of mine had their dog tied to the bed of their truck this past weekend and guess what - the METAL TIE broke on one side and the dog fell out and they dragged it on the street for over a mile. >

The dog has no broken bones, or concusion, but is in serious condition. (burns, bruises, abrasions, cuts, broken teeth, PAIN, etc.) They have to carry the dog to go to the bathroom, hand feed her, give her meds every few hours, etc. The dog will make it and probably be fine, but this could have been avoided had the dog been crated.

The poor dog cries all the time because she wants to get up and play and doesn't want to be in her crate away from everyone else. She is on pretty heavy drugs also and when they start to wear off I'm sure she is hurting.

They have spent a couple thousand dollars on vet bills already which I am glad they did and did not put the dog to sleep. (This was over labor day weekend) My friend is with the dog 24/7 right now and she said the dog is doing a lot better.

THEY BOUGHT A CRATE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast