I don't. I'm sure there are high mercury levels in most fish, but I heard that's true especially of tuna so no I don't feed it.
♣ Laura ♣
I'd say that's a whole whack of mercury!!
I had a friend that fed her cat tuna in addition to his regular meals ('cause cats eat fish, doncha know. :)
I told her not to and encouraged her to call a local vet and ask.
She called three, and they all said "No, never, waaayyy too much mercury for animal consumption".
Baloo - 5 year old black lab
Peanut - 7 year old minpin
Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
I eat tuna--and walleye from the detroit river :-- but wouldn't give either to my dog. Mercury, yipes!
Katie and Boo
Man! You have a deathwish!!!Originally Posted by K8Show
♣ Laura ♣
I don't feed Cooper tuna but I do give him the water from the can in which it's packed. He LOVES "tuna juice" - he smacks his lips as soon as he hears a can being opened (major disappointment for him when it's something else!)
I'd be worried about the amount of mercury in the tuna too, though, whenever I make tuna sandwiches, Henry does get some.
As far as a weekly treat though, he gets a tin of sardines (in water) on his kibbles twice a week.
I do give the juice to the cats.
If I can't find a cat that is hiding in the house and I want it out, all I have to do is open a can of tuna and it comes running. Then I let it eat the juice and put it outside! Works like a charm every time!!!
As Laura said the mercury levels are pretty high in tuna. I only give Nellie a taste when I eat it. I pretty much stick to sardines since I have trouble finding mackeral.