I hope I can relax someday.

Thread: I hope I can relax someday.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultI hope I can relax someday.

I think I psyched myself up a little too much before getting a lab pup with all of the joint worries, etc. I feel like I'm worried all the time. :-[

I took Baloo to the dog park last week and he met another black lab named McDuff. They played and played, obviously having a great time (had the same "play style"), and I couldn't help but worry everytime he made a sharp turn, everytime he would roll or run, pretty much anytime he moved. (which was a lot.) : :P

I feel like I assume he has HD. Or ED. I quite literally analyze his gait and movements every single day. Looking for the slightest limp, looking at how he places his feet when he's standing. I feel my stomach start to drop if one leg looks a little more turned out than the other.......

And the kicker is that I am not normally an anxiety-ridden person. I'm actually pretty easygoing, being so worried all the time is new territory for me, and I don't like it at all. :-\

It wasn't like this with Peanut. I don't remember worrying about health stuff at all, even with her hellish experience with immunosuppression and generalized demodectic mange. Somehow I took that all in stride, dealt with it as it came, and we got through it. :-[

Did anybody else experience this with their pups?? Is it just me?? Am I crazy...??

Maybe the stress of starting school and what not is getting to me and exacerbating it. *sigh*

:-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I hope I can relax someday.

Research can be good and bad....SU always tell me to quit reading so much on line because it makes me worry too much :
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I'm alot like you when it comes to Rocky. I have a nagging fear he has HD (one of these days I might get his hips X-rayed) even asked the vet about it. I don't like him chewing on sticks. I don't like rawhides or bones (even the ones most people give). When I drop him off at a friend's for dog sitting (a friend who I know is great with dogs) I go through the long list of things to keep in mind and watch for.
    he leaks abit and I fear UTI ($250 clarified that though LOL).

it's always something! Like the others said -research can be good and bad!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Baloo,
    I feel like I could have written the post you just did!! I am in the very same boat as you. Not so much regarding the HD, but with the worrying and more worrying. Like you, I was never a worrier and very easy-going. Until.......I became a puppy parent! Breezy is my first dog, first puppy. So not only is the worrying thing new territory for me too, but taking care of and raising a healthy, happy well-adjusted dog is also. All of it......it's all new to me. She is 10 months old so I am definetly not QUITE as nervous as in the very beginning. But I do worry. I think I read too much before we got her so by the time we brought her home I was so afraid of everything she would get into...........rocks, sticks, you-name-it. But since she is my first dog, I HAD to read at least enough to know what to look out for ("bloat" freaked me out when I read about that) and how to keep my puppy as safe as possible. I know I can't prevent EVERYthing, but I do try my best, without depriving her of her dogginess!
    I don't think you are crazy, just a protective puppy Mom. As we are both learning, having a Lab is a lot different than having any other kind of dog. But I would'nt have it any other way. I keep telling myself to have FUN with her......that's what it's all about, right?.........and use common sense and look out for the things they can get themselves into trouble with. Don't worry about your worrying.......I am right there with ya! Nice to know I'm not alone!

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

I constantly worry about the HD!!! I know it comes from reading all the posts from those here! I got my first lab in 1995 while in college, and didn't know about anything (fed her cheapest dog food, let her run, jump, etc.). She died of cancer at age 6 and I still blame myself thinking we didn't do something right, and that is one reason finding a great food is so important to me.

I researched for 6 months before we found a breeder. Jonah's father is offa excellent and mother is offa good on hips,both have elbows normal. I have no reason to believe there will be any problems, yet I still stress. We've told the kids he isn't allowed to run on the tile anymore since he keeps sliding around on it so much (I'm afraid he's going to twist something). This means THEY can't run on the tile because he chases them! Good way to enforce the "no running in the house" rule! I posted a question wondering about if his "puppy spurts" of running and jumping around were bad for him. I am SO paranoid because I did too much reading!!!!!

Thank goodness for this board where we can post questions and others can give us thoughts and suggestions, or just offer support!
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

Janika is offline Member

Ever since deciding on getting a Lab, I've been doing alot of research and reading here about HD, and I'm starting to get worried a little about if my new puppy will have any of these issues or will stay healthy. Course the breeder I'm getting this puppy from told me that every dog she stayed in contact with over past 15 yrs{same bloodline} never had any of the common Lab problems. I feel relieved but also worried that maybe the one I'm getting won't be so lucky...gah

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Awww Kate.

I was totally paranoid about everything when Henry was younger. And I am a worrier by nature. I remember when he broke his toe (the 2nd time), the e-vet who xrayed him said that she detected some early degenerative changes in his stifle. She told me I shouldn't let him run or jump or anything again. I freaked. I had the films sent to Guelph to have a vet radiologist read them, and he could not conclude either way whether there was degeneration or not.

In any case, I'm not about to not let Henry be a dog. He will continue to run and swim and play, I will keep his weight where it should be, and feed him the best that I can. And if, one day, he needs to have surgery, then he needs to have surgery. I'm not going to limit his life for fear that something *might* go wrong, you know?

Having said that, I'm not going to put him at more potential risk by running him in agility for eg., knowing what I know. But everyday dog having fun, dog having life stuff? I'll let him do.

As he's gotten older though, it has gotten easier to roll with the punches and not worry... as much.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'm glad to hear that someday it might be better!

I just keep telling myself that worrying won't help anything, even *if* there ends up being something wrong with him.

And I want him to be able to be a dog... oh I want that. I want him to run and play and have fun. Watching him playing makes me so happy, and so worried all at the same time!!

I think I'll feel better as he gets older. I hope. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!