Bitey face...how rough is TOO rough?

Thread: Bitey face...how rough is TOO rough?

Merlot_1 Guest

DefaultBitey face...how rough is TOO rough?

This started with Zoey, my spade female yellow, mounting Merlot, my not neutered male. Then he turned around and bit her playfully on the neck, and she bit him back, and the "bitey face" begun. This last time, though, they really went at it, leaping, growling, lunging at each other in mid air, tipped over the kitchen table, and it looked and sounded like two pit bulls in a death match. I went to break it up, but their adrenaline was so high that when I yelled "NO", and grabbed their collars to get them apart, one of them bit me, ( accident I'm sure), didn't break the skin, but left a welt. Anyway, I made them go to their kennels and picked up the over turned chairs and then I checked the dogs over, their fur was soaking wet, but no blood. They are now sleeping together on the deck, like nothing ever happened. Should I be worried, or is this just two teenagers playing rough? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bitey face...how rough is TOO rough?

I would say they were probably just playing. Mocha and Zeus REALLY get going some times too and they get nasty looking but no one is hurt and I generally just try to usher them outside where they won't break anything.

labby is offline Senior Member

I only break it up if I'm trying to talk on the phone at the time, listen to a song, TV show, if someone isn't enjoying the game, if something is in danger of breaking or if there is blood drawn. Other than that, I leave them be. Its how dogs play.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Merlot_1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    I only break it up if I'm trying to talk on the phone at the time, listen to a song, TV show, if someone isn't enjoying the game, if something is in danger of breaking or if there is blood drawn. Other than that, I leave them be. Its how dogs play.
    Do you mean sometimes your's play so rough that there IS blood drawn? I remember when my brother and I were kids and would scare the heck out of our mother, when one or both of us would end up with a bloody nose after one of our fights. That's how boys played back in the 50's