New baby on the way...q's on how to integrate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New baby on the way...q's on how to integrate

ds77755 is offline Member

DefaultNew baby on the way...q's on how to integrate

Hi all,
    Well, we are finally expecting our first child in January.
    Any recommendations for good books/ideas/training methods to help prepare Ellie (Yellow/Female/20 months, going on 2) for this new member of the family.

For the most part, Ellie has come a long way in training since we adopted her almost a year ago. She is very sweet and gentle with my nieces (1 & 3) - but the girls go home at some point.

Thanks in advance

Dominic &amp; Ellie<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: New baby on the way...q's on how to integrate

You might wanna look for an episode of the dog whisperer that covers this very topic.

I think the main thing is to include them. Let them investigate the babies room and toys and stuff I think the more you try to keep them out of it the more it becomes a game with them. I've been told to have your SU take a receiving blanket home from the hospital before you come home with the baby and let them sniff it.
    Good luck with everything

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

How wonderful for you! I agree a receiving blanket is a good idea, that way the smell will be familiar to her. Let her be a part of everything from start to finish. When you make up the baby's room, encourage her to get familiar with it. We did this with our dog when my daughter was on the way. I would catch Canda sitting in the baby's room just looking at the baby bed. Like she was saying 'Well mom, where is it?' When I came home, daddy carried the baby in and I got down with Canda and let her sniff me and kiss made a big fuss over her etc. We also unwrapped the baby and laid her on a blanket on the floor and let Canda sniff her from top to bottom. She was never into kids but she never got jealous of the baby. It was a good adjustment. Hope this helps. I hope you won't be afraid to let Ellie participate in raising the baby. That can be so good for both the child and the dog.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Check the "Our Best Advice" stick in the Puppy/Training Forum.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

No advice for you, but wanted to congratulate you on your pregnancy.

how were you able to get pregnant with a having a lab is the question!! mine sleeps like a dead cow stretched across the middle of the bed between my girlfriend and i. ;D

Congrats. There's also a small section in Ceaser's book about this as well, i remember it mentioning the blank idea mentioned above among some other stuff i don't recall right now, i'll try to dig the book out and see

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

Hey - that's crazy. We are expecting our first child in February and our lab is named Ellie too!!!

Our Ellie is a 3 year old chocolate. I am glad you asked this question - looks like we both can get some good advice on integrating our Ellies into the mix!

Had a 2 year old black male when our first was born in 82, we had no problems. Got a grandson due any day who will live with us for a while like his 2 year old sister. The only problems I expect are from his mother being a PIA about Rowdy sniffing the little one. Got a prong collar though, will use it on momma if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by DFWLab
    how were you able to get pregnant with a having a lab is the question!! mine sleeps like a dead cow stretched across the middle of the bed between my girlfriend and i. ;D
    I nearly spewed supper across the monitor while reading that - too funny!

Bev.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast