kong question

Thread: kong question

Defaultkong question

Okay, I have never used a kong before, and see lots of people that use them here, so I bought one for Jonah. Saw lots of suggestions on what to put in them for stuffing, but here's my stupid question:
    Are you using these as their meal, or a treat?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: kong question

Just as a treat!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

amazongold is offline Senior Member

It's something to keep them occupied, like if you have to crate your pup when you go to work, etc.

I seal the small end with a dab of peanut butter, fill it with fat-free yogurt and maybe a cookie or some green beans, then seal the large end with another dab of peanut butter, and freeze. You can use fruits (NO grapes or raisins!), green beans, carrots, low-fat cheese, etc.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Most people use Kong's as treats. If you stuff a Kong full of goodies it is best to deduct some food from your dogs main meals.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

(1) I take a portion of her evening meal, and use it as the bulk of the filling. We give it toher when we are eating to occupy her.
    (2) I used to use yogurt, for Knogs and a frozen treat before bedtime, but have been advised not to feed her yogurt unitl fully grown. They don't need the extra calcium and it has the potential to cause issues.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Both depending on the situation. If your using it alot you probably should take some out of their meals so they don't get fat. I generally just use it as a treat unless I'm going to be gone for a while then sometimes I'll put some of their meal in it to tide them over.

Brees plays with hers just as much when it's empty so I don't put much in there anymore. I do give her PB in there at times though and use it as a treat.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

If you are FILLING the kong - yes it's best to feed abit less at their meal. I more or less portion out part of Rocky's breakfast and fill the kong, put a tablespoon of peanut butter in the middle and freeze

If I miss a morning Rocky will give me the evil eye all day
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Emma the Lab
    Just as a treat!
    Not true for all cases.

We feed Cooper 98% of his meals from Kongs (we have 8-10 at all times). He gets 3 Large Kongs and 3 medium stuff-a-kongs each day which comes out to exactly four total cups of food. He was getting 2 @ breakfast, 2 @ lunch and 2 @ dinner, but we're weaning him off the lunches now so he's getting 2 @ breakfast, 1 @ lunch and 3 @ dinner this week and next it will be 3 morning and 3 evening.