neighbors' dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: neighbors' dog

Defaultneighbors' dog

My neighbors saw our lab puppies several months ago & decided they wanted one, so the husband surprised his wife w/a German Shepherd puppy. That wasn't what she wanted, so the dog gets tied outside (they do let her in for short periods of time), no walks (they look like they're water skiing when they put the dog on a lead just to tie her outside), she barks incessantly, and when they are outside, no one plays w/her. They intend on breeding her & she came into her first heat so they kept her in the basement by herself the whole time b/c they have another, old, male dog that hasn't been neutered. I told them that they can bring her over to meet my dogs & if they all get along, she can spend time running in my fenced in yard & socializing w/Teko & Libby. The wife thought that she "might be a better dog for it" and would bring her over. I'm outside every nite w/mine & they still don't bring her over. They come out & tie her beside my fence so she can see my dogs playing & so she barks at them the whole time. I know she's well fed & clean but I feel so bad for her. That dog NEVER gets any exercise & they wonder why she's always so hyper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: neighbors' dog

This makes me unbelievably sad. :'( Why why why have a dog if you aren't going to care for it properly and do the best you can for it?? Feeding it well and keeping it clean are nice and all, but to me that is not caring for it properly. No walks and no one playing with her, AND being tied up all day??? So unfair, and downright CRUEL. Can you assert yourself more and go over and get the dog to bring back to your yard to play? I know it is probably an awkward situation, but to me, the dog is more important than what those idiots might think. I hope they do not breed that poor dog. And I hope someone knocks some sense into them and they either start taking better care of her, or rehome her to someone that will love her the way she deserves.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I don't get it, even after you offered to let their dog in your yard to play with yours? Sheesh, and here I am, day in and day out, feeling just awful that I need to leave Riley for about 3 hours in the morning and 2 more later in the day. I zoom home to let her out of her crate and have turned down dinner offers, etc. so she doesn't stay longer than necessary in her crate. Wish you were my neighbor ;D!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

skippin is offline Member

Just wanted to say how absolutely adorable that pic is!!!!! As for the neighbor, maybe try to find a book on German Sheps (or dogs in general) and their proper care, (a gift to welcome the new addition perhaps?) then you are not put into the awkward situation of speaking to them about it. Maybe it will help. They are not the kind of people we dog folks want as breeders, since they obviously have no idea what they are doing. I don't mean to sound snobby or offend anyone, I just can't see having a pet and not enjoying them.

I just talked my nephew out of getting a lab for his 2 year old son. He thinks that his son needs to be around a dog while he is growing up. Well that could be a good situation for someone who is stable and lives in a home, but not for a kid who is barely making ends meet. He said he "hopes" this is just a temporary home. He has such big dreams. He's 23 and just had his divorce finalized. He was going to buy a home this year, get married again, have another child, buy a bunch of "toys" make a million dollars, etc......
    well, he doesn't even have a job, money, he shares a room with his brother in a home with 9 other people and has his son 3 days a week. What would he do with a dog? How would he take care of it? Vet, food, sleeping arrangements, exercise. Those are all things to consider. He said I was always negative and hard on him, but he would reconsider the dog for right now, at least until Christmas when he would love to give his son a dog as a gift.

What about when he gets a job - where would the dog go then?
    What about when his son is with the mother?
    the list goes on.
    Why don't people get it?
    He told me to stop treating the dog as a child.
    I just turned and left at that point.

It's very hard b/c I spend at least an hour in the yard playing w/mine & listening to that dog bark. When I look over the fence to talk to her, she's wagging her tail like "play w/me!" I even talked to their son last week telling him again that she could come over & play. I think I will take the suggestion about getting them a book. I "accidentally" tossed a ball into their yard a couple of nights ago & they have her on a log chain w/a Master lock so bringing her to my house w/o them is not an option.

:'( that is so sad....

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Sounds like one neighbor bought a dog on a whim with out given any thought that he was buying a living animal and not a plastic figurine. I am surprised the wife hasn't brought the dog over to your yard. i am sure the dogs would have a blast together, especially the neighbors.

The story about the son. Good for you. We all don't mature at the same rate, and boys (young men) seem to have a harder time of it that our young women. (No statement is absolute and all encompassing). It is good for him to dream, hopefully he has the motivation to work towards it, one step at a time. Good for you to keep his dog dreams in check, you may end up becoming the caregiver to that dog when it does arrive.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Being tied up a lot often leads to aggression. Dogs just get so frustrated. So sad that this poor baby just has to sit in the yard and watch other dogs having fun. Maybe you could talk to this person and emphasize how important socialization is etc., and that dogs are not solitary animals. :-\

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

All the asshattery of crummy dog owners, rolled into one.

Gah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast