Hah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking...

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultHah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking...

City puts bite in 'no barking' ordinance
    Mount Dora eyes rule to targets dogs

Brad Buck
    Staff Writer

Saturday, September 08, 2007

MOUNT DORA - The city may put a leash on frequent dog-barking.

Under a proposed change in Mount Dora's noise ordinance, dogs won't be able to just keep barking and barking, creating a disturbance in a neighborhood.

Mount Dora already prohibits dogs from barking for five minutes at a time. But under the revised ordinance, even if dogs bark for less than five minutes, their owners can be cited by the city if the dog barks for three periods in 24 hours.

Such barking is considered a noise disturbance.

If passed, residents can add barking dogs to noisy radios, TVs, musical instruments, loudspeakers, tape players, record players, power equipment and similar devices.

Loudspeakers, public address systems or similar devices can be used at activities authorized by the city including parades and art festivals.

Currently, the ordinance says dogs can bark for at most five minutes at a time or intermittently for at least 30 minutes.

City staff starting changing the noise law after resident Monique Richardson told the council in August she was concerned about a new renter in her neighborhood that has a dog or dogs that bark at all hours.

In response, council members told the city attorney and City Manager Michael Quinn to change the ordinance so enforcement would be easier.

The revised ordinance may go to the council Sept. 18.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking...

The number of retarded law makers in this country is staggering. >

I guess there is nothing more serious to deal with in Mount Dora than dogs barking. Why don't they just make it illegal to be a dog and get it over with.

What's next? No peeing and pooing outdoors. I guess those people have too much time on their hands.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thats just dumb....why can't we put down the dumb lawmakers!?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but it doesn't seem too extreme to me. I'm all for dog barking ordinances.

On a side note...I LOVE Mount Dora! been there several times while we have been in Florida. Gorgeous, gorgeous place.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

What will be next, is your child won't be allowed to cry either. What is wrong with people...To say a dog can't bark, that is a natural part of a dog, why not just outlaw the dog all together. Just plain stupid if you ask me.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

From what I gather the article is not saying that dogs can't bark at all. That would be stupid. What it is saying is that dogs should not be allowed to bark continuously for extended periods of time.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    From what I gather the article is not saying that dogs can't bark at all. That would be stupid. What it is saying is that dogs should not be allowed to bark continuously for extended periods of time.
    Actually it says ....even if dogs bark for less than five minutes, their owners can be cited by the city if the dog barks for three periods in 24 hours.

That essentially says, if your dog barks for 1 minute, 3 times during the day, you can be cited. :

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I think it is a wonderful law, honestly. I envision it being very useful for prosecuting people who leave their dogs in their back yards, and the dogs proceed to bark at everyone who walks by the fence. At no one time does the dog bark for 5 minutes straight, but every time someone walks by on the sidewalk, the dog yips and yaps. 30 seconds, three times in 24 hours is too much barking for me.

I do not permit my dogs to bark outside. I think it is rude and annoying.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

skippin is offline Member

I can see where some people are coming from on the nuisance barking. My dogs are only allowed to bark if someone comes into the yard or pulls into the driveway. I live in rural WY, so if I allowed them to bark at every little thing, they would be considered nuisance barkers. But, the thing about that kind of law is that there is so many other things that need "fixed", why are they putting so much effort into a semi-trivial matter such as this? What about all of the loose dogs running around, and the abuse and such? Why not put the same effort into fixing those problems first? It makes no sense to me, but I don't live there so I don't know first hand how bad the problem really is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast