Hah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking...

Simon is a barker, a shrill, loud barker, but usually it's when he's engaged and excited. When we are training and he is getting praised for doing a good job, you can count on a few ear-piercing barks.

Both Angus and Simon like to bark at people out on the street from the backyard. : They both seem to be very territorial.

Crash only barked at other dogs or plastic bags.

That said, I never let it go on for long. As it did with Crash, all it takes is a tap on the window or door and they are redirected sufficiently to stop it. Not sure how I trained this with all three. ??? I never made any conscious effort to train them to stop with a window tap. They just do. I must have done something to make it happen, though, because it has worked with all three of them. I just have no idea what.

I tell you what, I love dogs more than most people, but I do not like dogs that bark their heads off for hours on end. We've had a few of those in this neighborhood. If I was an animal-control-calling type of person, I can think of at least three I would have called about.

The most recent was the Lab next door with the renters before they moved. He used to be tied up out back, sometimes all weekend while they were gone, and he would bark the entire time. It aggravated me to no end, but I really felt sorry for the poor boy. He was only barking because he felt displaced.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking...

As someone who is currently on the receiving end of a dog-hating neighbour who is fully backed up by council ordinances, I find this new proposal a little extreme. However, I do applaud them for actually quantifying nuisance barking. The area I live in won't actually define how long a dog has to bark for, for it to be deemed a nuisance. It is all at the discretion of the investigating officer, so if they think 3 barks 3 times a day is too much, I'm going to get slapped with a fine (and by the way, that's a $600 fine for the first offence, $1200 for any offence thereafter). They have no trouble quantifying anything that will net them some cash. Please excuse my tone, but I've been living under this cloud for over a year now and it's taking its toll.

I have dogs, not stuffed animals. They're labs. When they play outside, they play like labs do. Bear wrestling and bitey face. There's growling. They get excited, so there's the occasional bark here and there - probably about 10 barks total in a 5 minute period. You've seen labs play, right? And they might play hard like that for a good 5-10 minutes before they get tired and have a rest. They're not barking because they're bored or mistreated or unsupervised. They're barking because they're playing and having fun and doing what dogs are supposed to do. Should I call the police every time the neighbour's kids are running around yelling outside in their play? That's what kids do, and I'd much rather see kids playing outside than stuck inside playing Nintendo and turning into lard-muffins.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234